How do Coaches handle the Bench?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I think that still depends on age and skill level of the team. I’m “ASSuming” lol, your area is NC? I’m SE VA and DD’s 18u team has 17. The 16u team in our org also has 17. We are not titled “national” but we traveled to 4 tournaments up and down the east coast to showcases. Pretty much team we have played has had a roster of 15+ I would say. Very few teams had maybe 13 and none only had 11. Games are usually longer so coaches move and switch girls a lot. AB’s can be a sticking point at times but every player usually gets at least one per game. It’s up to them to make their AB count.

When DD was younger her teams would usually be around 11/12/13 (as she moved up in age levels). We got into some trouble in hot summers with only 11 girls. Someone may get overheated and another girl may get hurt and all of a sudden you only have 9 healthy girls to finish out a day of play. Parents should understand there is a need to carry a decent number because”stuff” happens. Especially in 2020 😂

We're in Georgia, and we're 12U.

I'm good with having a roster size about equal to your age. At 10U, our girls had zero "other commitments" and didn't get hurt or tired. We did great with 10 girls on the roster.

With Covid, our girls have even less than zero other commitments. :p

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...

I'm good with having a roster size about equal to your age. At 10U, our girls had zero "other commitments" and didn't get hurt or tired. We did great with 10 girls on the roster.

Unless they get quarantined...

Aug 6, 2013

I am impressed honestly. Even at 10u DD’s team had girls that were randomly hurt and the heat definitely would get to one or two during long hot tournaments. I like 11 girls even at 10u then I am on board with you - roughly the same number girls as their age. I do agree Covid quarantine could change things a bit though....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478