How Did She Do It?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
Watched a bunch of Romero videos and the video first posted is giving a different view point that I believe is giving a bit of a false impression. The camera angle is weird. She is taking the optimum bat path. The whole down to the ball thing is about feel. You always attack from the top, meaning keeping your hands high (arm pit) and by getting the back elbow down not letting the front elbow start a downward path. This allows you to have the feeling of swinging down because the barrel is below the hands and therefor gives you a feeling of swinging down. What really is happening is your are swinging around your body in the optimum way. Then just use the correct posture to match the pitch height. Setup a tee where the ball is the same height of your deltoid. Hit the ball with a bat that is level to the ground. Now work your way down by bending over more. As you bend over the barrel starts appearing to be below the hands.

May 12, 2016
Watched a bunch of Romero videos and the video first posted is giving a different view point that I believe is giving a bit of a false impression. The camera angle is weird. She is taking the optimum bat path. The whole down to the ball thing is about feel. You always attack from the top, meaning keeping your hands high (arm pit) and by getting the back elbow down not letting the front elbow start a downward path. This allows you to have the feeling of swinging down because the barrel is below the hands and therefor gives you a feeling of swinging down. What really is happening is your are swinging around your body in the optimum way. Then just use the correct posture to match the pitch height. Setup a tee where the ball is the same height of your deltoid. Hit the ball with a bat that is level to the ground. Now work your way down by bending over more. As you bend over the barrel starts appearing to be below the hands.
What about this lady? Same bat path?

Nov 16, 2017
What about this lady? Same bat path?

Yes straighten her back to vertical and her bat would have a path level to the ground. You have one optimal way to swing a bat around your body. You have to use posture/spine angle to adjust for pitch height.

May 12, 2016
Yes straighten her back to vertical and her bat would have a path level to the ground. You have one optimal way to swing a bat around your body. You have to use posture/spine angle to adjust for pitch height.
Yes, nobody here really disagrees with that. But what about how Romero finishes low, and Dicarlo finishes high? Dicarlo is up through the ball, while Romero is down or just through the ball

Nov 16, 2017
Yes, nobody here really disagrees with that. But what about how Romero finishes low, and Dicarlo finishes high? Dicarlo is up through the ball, while Romero is down or just through the ball

Like I said before I think the camera angle in the original video is giving you an impression that isn't really happening. Here in this video it appears she is up through.

My point is actually to forget all about the finish low and up through. If you learn how to swing a bat with maximum force to hit a ball armpit/deltoid height with a bat that has a parallel path to the ground all you have to do is adjust your posture to pitch height. Trout works with high flips at arm pit height 1st before he moves on to regular pitching. He dials it in there and then works down.

May 12, 2016
Like I said before I think the camera angle in the original video is giving you an impression that isn't really happening. Here in this video it appears she is up through.

My point is actually to forget all about the finish low and up through. If you learn how to swing a bat with maximum force to hit a ball armpit/deltoid height with a bat that has a parallel path to the ground all you have to do is adjust your posture to pitch height. Trout works with high flips at arm pit height 1st before he moves on to regular pitching. He dials it in there and then works down.

Nah man, there are videos all over youtube that show Romero where her swing continues low past contact and then eventually starts the upward turn, not up and through the ball like Dicarlo does it, or Trout for that matter. It's not just the camera angle in the original video in this thread.

Interesting perspective on the bolded section though. Nobody will argue with the rest of what you are saying. But Trout has a different bat path than Romero though, becomes more apparent on low pitches.

Sep 17, 2009

Antonelli SOFTBALL (softball-specific videos from Matt). Nice find

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23