How are USSSA tournament final place results determined?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
In a 16O tournament, with 14 teams, two teams are listed at tied for first, two teams tied for second, four teams are tied for fourth, and the rest, six teams are listed as coming in fourth. The "top" fourth place finisher had a record of 2-2, and the last fourth place team had a record of 0-4.

Is there a standard for determining what place a team comes in a USSSA tournament? Seems like giving a 0-4 team fourth place does not reflect the results on the field.

May 29, 2015
I couldn’t say for sure, but there are usually “tie breakers” that should be in the tournament material. For example: runs scored, runs given up, run differential, etc.

Edit: just re-read that ... what? They have different records?!

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
I couldn’t say for sure, but there are usually “tie breakers” that should be in the tournament material. For example: runs scored, runs given up, run differential, etc.

Edit: just re-read that ... what? They have different records?!

Yes, here is the link to the final results page.
160 Final Results

A team that went 1-3-1 was tied for third and a 2-2 team was in fourth.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Ahhh ... looks like they award points for a number of factors including win/loss, runs scored, runs given up, etc. So final record is not the determining factor for the standings.

So a team that goes 0-4 by losing close games could earn more points than a team that goes 2-2 with a few blowout games.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
What I've seen with the USSSA website if there is a 'gold' and 'silver' bracket, the website reports the winners of both brackets as 'first place', the runners up are both listed as '2nd place', etc. Looks like that is what happened this tournament.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This one is easy enough. Teams were separated into an upper and lower bracket.

As there were two brackets - even though one was a 'B'/lower bracket - the winner of the both brackets (so Chiefs and SSA) will still show as '1' in results.

Jul 3, 2013
Pool play record doesn't factor in final placement. It's all about when you lose in bracket.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28