How about this call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2019
Okay - I gotta ask. Is there a penalty for purposely erasing the front line on the box? We have a batter who will walk right in there and just rub out the front line - look right at the umpire while she is doing it. :p Never had an ump say anything and she does it almost every tournament.

Yes, Strike on the batter if on offense
Ball on the batter if on defense

Jan 27, 2019
I do not like to be overly critical of my fell umpires but I will point out some things from this video

The plate umpire never removes his mask until the play is complete and he does not get into a good initial position and in my opinion does not move to get a good angle to make a good call. He is too close to the play to see the whole picture on a force play.

The base umpire seems to be standing still with his hands in his pockets. Runners running all over the diamond and he is standing in C taking a siesta.

Bad form, poor mechanics, it's not surprising he missed the call, and I believe he missed it, her foot did not touch the plate.

May 20, 2016
Kind of looks like every double play in MLB where they just brush their foot by the bag without ever touching it. Tough call but as the catcher resets her feet she gets real close to touching the plate.

I'd question more the call to bunt in that situation. Suicide squeeze is tough at that time in the game unless you've seen the first baseman kick two or three bunts prior to that.

Jun 12, 2015
I do not like to be overly critical of my fell umpires but I will point out some things from this video

The plate umpire never removes his mask until the play is complete and he does not get into a good initial position and in my opinion does not move to get a good angle to make a good call. He is too close to the play to see the whole picture on a force play.

The base umpire seems to be standing still with his hands in his pockets. Runners running all over the diamond and he is standing in C taking a siesta.

Bad form, poor mechanics, it's not surprising he missed the call, and I believe he missed it, her foot did not touch the plate.

He did a lot of things like that. We had a young guy earlier in the tournament who maybe wasn't the best you've ever seen, but he was obviously really into the game, doing his best. If he'd missed this one I'd never have posted it, most likely. This guy was just...well, not good and not trying to be. That makes it a lot more annoying than just missing a close play because your eye was in the wrong place, or whatever.

Aug 12, 2014
He did a lot of things like that. We had a young guy earlier in the tournament who maybe wasn't the best you've ever seen, but he was obviously really into the game, doing his best. If he'd missed this one I'd never have posted it, most likely. This guy was just...well, not good and not trying to be. That makes it a lot more annoying than just missing a close play because your eye was in the wrong place, or whatever.

Right, umpires are human and sometimes make the wrong call, that's part of the game. But it's easier to accept them when the umpire is making a good effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28