How about this call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
That being said the batter should have been out. She was way out if the running lane when she made the bunt. Maybe the other coach didn't say anything because of the out at home.

Sorry no. That isn't how the running lane works. If you want to think about it, a right hand batter laying a bunt down is pretty much going to have to take the exact line to first base this girl did. and in this case, she did the right thing - passed by the fielder and didn't interfere with her the chance to field the ball and there was no play on her the fielder could have made. Absolutely not going to be an out. If the fielder fields it and throws to first and the runner now gets nailed in the back on a throw to first and she is in fair territory, it is a different call, but that didn't happen.

Ouch on the call at home. I understand how it happens - and when you consider he is looking down on the play as he is so much closer to it, I can imagine in his mind he may have thought he saw it, but yeah.

Jun 22, 2008
She was way out if the running lane when she made the bunt

The running lane doesn't even start until 30' up the line, and even then it only applies on plays that involve throws to first base and has no purpose in any other play.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
To quote a particular ex-coach, "Too bad, too bad."

1) The batter's left foot is out of the box on contact with the ball....

Not under USSSA rules...foot has to be completely outside of lines. Rule 7, Sec. 14(G).

Attachments

• batter-out.JPG
    batter-out.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 140
Jan 5, 2018
PNW
To quote a particular ex-coach, "Too bad, too bad."

Not under USSSA rules...foot has to be completely outside of lines. Rule 7, Sec. 14(G).

Thanks! We don't play USSSA. I'll go back to check our USA rule so I'm correct in the future.

I do know I've seen multiple USA tournaments where the batter was called out for partial foot out of the box. Doesn't mean the umpire was right...just what they called.

Mar 28, 2016
Girl went back with her foot so she knew she had missed it. Nothing wrong with asking plate ump what he saw and why she moved her foot back and asking him to get some help.

That being said the batter should have been out. She was way out if the running lane when she made the bunt. Maybe the other coach didn't say anything because of the out at home.

The other thing is you said you had plenty of other chances. Score those other runs and this out doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wow. She was almost 5 feet inside the field of play.

Jun 12, 2015
Like I said, the box is not the correct size for softball. I can't remember how short the umpire said it was but she wasn't even close to out of it. As for the running path, they were making a play right there and she avoided them.

I said in my original post, I'm not trying to throw blame for the loss. It was just an exceptionally bad call in a long line of them this game. And was RIGHT THERE. We have another video of a slapper literally stepping on home plate as she hit the ball. The umpire said she was in the box. It was also blatant. Foot in the middle of home plate on contact (terrible slapping mechanics obviously).

We had a player hit one over and when she crossed home plate, the umpire was near the pitcher's circle, looking out at where the ball went to make sure someone was getting it. He was oddly obsessed with the softballs. You can see on the video she touched the plate but if she hadn't, he would have had no idea. Wasn't even looking. He was one of those who will never ask for help about anything because he's always right. If we get him again I'm sitting in the outfield.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thanks! We don't play USSSA. I'll go back to check our USA rule so I'm correct in the future.

I do know I've seen multiple USA tournaments where the batter was called out for partial foot out of the box. Doesn't mean the umpire was right...just what they called.

They are wrong. Currently only NCAA is "completely in the box'. All other rule sets are currently 'completely out'

It is what happens when there is zero umpire training, limited umpires and they are getting their rules training from watching TV. With the limited amount of umpires and support for the ones out there, it is what it is in some cases whether that is right or not. Drives me nuts from either side of it.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Wow. She was almost 5 feet inside the field of play.

As stated earlier, she is ALLOWED to be there. And in this case because the fielder is coming up the the line to field the ball and there is no play on the runner, she SHOULD be otherwise she likely interferes with the fielder.

Dec 5, 2017
They are wrong. Currently only NCAA is "completely in the box'. All other rule sets are currently 'completely out'

It is what happens when there is zero umpire training, limited umpires and they are getting their rules training from watching TV. With the limited amount of umpires and support for the ones out there, it is what it is in some cases whether that is right or not. Drives me nuts from either side of it.

How do you handle it when there is not much of the box left and all of the front of the box is gone? We played our first tourney this weekend and the opposing coach complained that dd was stepping out of the box when slapping. This was a 9u tourney and she is just learning so she is always right on the borderline but in this case there was nothing left of the box. It wasn't like she was several steps out either.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
How do you handle it when there is not much of the box left and all of the front of the box is gone? We played our first tourney this weekend and the opposing coach complained that dd was stepping out of the box when slapping. This was a 9u tourney and she is just learning so she is always right on the borderline but in this case there was nothing left of the box. It wasn't like she was several steps out either.

You can't call what you can not see and be sure of. If there is no way for me to be able to see, I can't call it unless I am certain.

That said - the box doesn't magically go away because the lines aren't there. While I can't 'imagine' a line perfectly, if the player is CLEARLY outside the box at contact and it is blatant (like stepping on a plate or being a way in front of the box at contact) I will make the call. But I will need to be REAL certain. You don't make calls up - either it happened or it didn't. In one of the old ASA case books I believe it even addressed it as 'best judgment' and any doubt err of the side of the batter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802