How about this call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Context:

Elimination game, we were down 4-3. Bases were loaded, one out. The batter has been struggling so coach called a risky bunt. They went home with it but watch the catcher's feet. Tying run gets called out. Next one struck out, the end. I will never blame an umpire for a loss, because our players watched about 20 perfect strikes go by then had to swing at crap that produced pop ups and easy grounders. We should have had about 6 more runs on the board and if they'd come to play, we'd have won. I also know that being an umpire is a super hard job and one I would never want in a million years.

That said, I could see plain as day from way down by the dugout that she never touched the plate and he was standing right there. He was one of those who didn't seem to want to be there, wasn't very nice, and I have to wonder if he just wanted to not go into extra innings. To me this is such a blatant bad call, I'm having a hard time believing it was innocent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49u9y8xIuSo

Apr 20, 2015
Context:

Elimination game, we were down 4-3. Bases were loaded, one out. The batter has been struggling so coach called a risky bunt. They went home with it but watch the catcher's feet. Tying run gets called out. Next one struck out, the end. I will never blame an umpire for a loss, because our players watched about 20 perfect strikes go by then had to swing at crap that produced pop ups and easy grounders. We should have had about 6 more runs on the board and if they'd come to play, we'd have won. I also know that being an umpire is a super hard job and one I would never want in a million years.

That said, I could see plain as day from way down by the dugout that she never touched the plate and he was standing right there. He was one of those who didn't seem to want to be there, wasn't very nice, and I have to wonder if he just wanted to not go into extra innings. To me this is such a blatant bad call, I'm having a hard time believing it was innocent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49u9y8xIuSo
Ouch...looks like he called what should have happened instead of what did happen.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
You're right the catcher didn't touch the plate

Couple other things.

1) The batter's left foot is out of the box on contact with the ball....batter should have been out. So I guess whether it's the runner from 3 or the batter...someone was out. If batter had been called out. I think it would have been a deadball situation where she was out and runner would have been sent back to 3B either way you'd have two outs.

2) that waggling the bat on a bunt attempt....not so cool Just my opinion. In some leagues that's unsportsmanlike conduct and a warning followed by an ejection.

just my .02 cents

Jun 12, 2015
You're right the catcher didn't touch the plate

Couple other things.

1) The batter's left foot is out of the box on contact with the ball....batter should have been out. So I guess whether it's the runner from 3 or the batter...someone was out. If batter had been called out. I think it would have been a deadball situation where she was out and runner would have been sent back to 3B either way you'd have two outs.

2) that waggling the bat on a bunt attempt....not so cool Just my opinion. In some leagues that's unsportsmanlike conduct and a warning followed by an ejection.

just my .02 cents
It's a baseball turf field. The box is short, so she wasn't out of the box. It only looked like it. That was per one of the umpires on a different batter.

I have no idea why she did the bat waggle. Coach does not teach that and he's the only travel ball coach she's ever had. I've never seen her do it before, either. Who knows.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Aug 30, 2015
In USA and NFHS softball, a foot on the line is not out of the box. The foot must be entirely out. I believe it may be that way for ALL orgs except for NCAA...I just know USA and NFHS for sure

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Ump kicked it for sure, and should not have been called out, but in the catcher’s defense, there’s no “plate” to feel for right? It’s just painted on the turf? Doesn’t excuse it, and she should know where her feet are, but that’s one less piece of feedback that the body normally gets.

Jun 12, 2015
Ump kicked it for sure, and should not have been called out, but in the catcher’s defense, there’s no “plate” to feel for right? It’s just painted on the turf? Doesn’t excuse it, and she should know where her feet are, but that’s one less piece of feedback that the body normally gets.
Nobody likes this field. It's awful even for turf. Kinda beside the point though.

Feb 15, 2017
Girl went back with her foot so she knew she had missed it. Nothing wrong with asking plate ump what he saw and why she moved her foot back and asking him to get some help.

That being said the batter should have been out. She was way out if the running lane when she made the bunt. Maybe the other coach didn't say anything because of the out at home.

The other thing is you said you had plenty of other chances. Score those other runs and this out doesn't matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802