How about that an illegal pitch!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I saw a thread on FB about being it being legal to drag and still push again, which is what Barnhopper does a lot! Any truth to that? I’ve never heard that before but supposedly it’s legal in certain alphabets.
ASA came out several years ago with a rules clarification that said they found it not possible to push-drag-push. So as long as the pivot foot didn’t leave the ground, there was no violation.

May 2012 ASA plays and clarifications.

Fast Pitch Pitching Styles
For the past few months or so we have been asked about a pitching style called a “Push, Drag, Push” or a “Crow Drag in Women’s and Junior Olympic Fast Pitch. This is described as a pitcher that pushes from the pitcher’s plate, drags her pivot foot, stops and pushes again. We have been told that there are some indicators like a bent leg or the pivot foot bearing weight as a factor in this style of pitching. We have looked at several videos and several pitchers. We disagree that any of these pitchers are pushing, dragging, stopping and pushing again. We can see what appears to be a pivot by the pivot foot at the end of their delivery but not a re-push.
Nowhere in the ASA rules does it state anything illegal about the pivot foot bearing weight or the leg being bent. As long as the pivot foot starts on the pitcher's plate and pushes away, remains on the ground within the 24-inch width of the pitcher's plate and the arm continues without stopping in the delivery, it is a legal pitch. The pitcher opening her hips causes the foot to turn (pivot mark in the dirt) and then with pivot foot remaining on the ground (drag mark), the pitcher then closes her hips which produces another pivot mark in the dirt. This is not an illegal pitch by ASA pitching rules. We would also add, it is not possible to push, drag, stop and re-push while the non-pivot foot is in the air. It is possible to re-push if you leap and land.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
I am sure you have seen this post, but the Barnhopper aka Barnhill illegal pitching rants are here also. Enjoy. (Barnhill is one of many that pitch illegal).

I have twitted scarborough, smith and Kempf. Kempf did reply, she said we were all ignorant for thinking barnhill is illegal.
I use to watch NCAA Softball A LOT. This weekend i didn't watch one game. Softball was and still is a great sport but when the color commentators are ignorant about illegal pitches they lose credibility and viewers. But hey, look at it this way, some watch barnhill to see if she will get called, so in that regardst they are getting people to watch. They are sellouts.
I have twitted "clean up the illegal pitching or you will start to lose numbers". Amber Fiser's and Rachel Garcia's teams are the only ones I watch.

Apr 28, 2019
I am sure you have seen this post, but the Barnhopper aka Barnhill illegal pitching rants are here also. Enjoy. (Barnhill is one of many that pitch illegal).

I have twitted scarborough, smith and Kempf. Kempf did reply, she said we were all ignorant for thinking barnhill is illegal.
I use to watch NCAA Softball A LOT. This weekend i didn't watch one game. Softball was and still is a great sport but when the color commentators are ignorant about illegal pitches they lose credibility and viewers. But hey, look at it this way, some watch barnhill to see if she will get called, so in that regardst they are getting people to watch. They are sellouts.
I have twitted "clean up the illegal pitching or you will start to lose numbers". Amber Fiser's and Rachel Garcia's teams are the only ones I watch.
I’m not familiar with Kempf. Fiser & Garcia are both exceptional pitchers/players. Keep an eye out for the Alabama Freshman Montana Fouts. Very promising.

Sep 29, 2014
and that umpire is probably not headed for Oklahoma City....they can't risk the spectacle if he decides it's Barnhill's turn; the darling of ESPN must not be tarnished. Hey after four years maybe she gets her trophy and best of luck to her, no real need to pile on her she is only doing what she has been taught and allowed to continue doing and once she is out of the NCAA she will be legal.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
and that umpire is probably not headed for Oklahoma City....they can't risk the spectacle if he decides it's Barnhill's turn; the darling of ESPN must not be tarnished. Hey after four years maybe she gets her trophy and best of luck to her, no real need to pile on her she is only doing what she has been taught and allowed to continue doing and once she is out of the NCAA she will be legal.
They already have been down the road of enforcement against future hall of fame coach, Mike Candrea, when they called IP’s against Kenzie Fowler during the 2010 WCWS. They lost viewers over it, because it was so painful to watch. Don’t expect them to do it again at the WCWS.

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017
With Garcia and Fiser already dominant legally, imagine what they could do with a big replant!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
You are describing "replanting" (double push off) with the trail leg which is illegal in NCAA, HS, and about every American orginazation not international. Replanting is the illegal action that can give the pitcher a huge advantage but can be difficult to catch in real time.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Easy to catch in real time. If you drag the side of your foot or your toe, replanting and pushing off again isn't possible. Try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478