'HONEY you should have had that grounder'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Is it appropriate for coaches to use words like this towards the team?
On the field? Or not?
'HONEY you should have had that grounder'.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Because i heard this at a 16u teams practice.
Asked a few players i know what they thought.
2 high school age said
"Oh no"
one of those commented
'i'm not your honey'

asked a 12 year old and they sorta cringed and said
' thats what my dad calls my mom'

Asked 3 parents
All commented inappropriate.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Not ok. Definitely cringe worthy. The older the player, the more inappropriate it gets. I don't even use those terms with my daughter on the field.

I wonder if there would be a difference in reaction if a male or female coach said it.

Outside of cringy, it just seems derogatory to address a female (outside of your spouse or child as a term of affection) in this manner.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Yea I think if a woman coach said it - I can imagine it not being so bad. But "Honey" is reserved for my husband and not even for my kids.

Jun 8, 2016
I've never called anybody honey in my life so I wouldn't do it but if a coach did it to my DD it wouldn't bother me unless it bothered her. In that case I would perhaps suggest to the coach to call her some other sweetener...At the moment I use Monk Fruit in my coffee so perhaps that would work?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Only gender neutral, politically correct terminology designed to inspire and uplift while assuring diversity, inclusivity and respect for others feelings shall be used while in the dugout or on the field or for that matter anywhere within earshot of others that may be offended.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
With a few exceptions we are talking about girls fastpitch softball. Thus at the advice of my female AC, I always refer the players as ladies.

Never call out an individual player for a misplay in front of the rest of the team. Talk to them 1 on 1 and keep it as positive as you can while pointing out how the play could have been made (technique).

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Never call out an individual player for a misplay in front of the rest of the team. Talk to them 1 on 1 and keep it as positive as you can while pointing out how the play could have been made (technique).

How does the rest of the team learn from that mistake if you can't explain in to everyone. Sure, don't blatantly yell at a girl in front of everyone, but there is nothing wrong with highlighting a teachable moment.

Coddling and always trying to make sure you don't "upset the girls" is not preparing them for life. I treat my team how I would treat my daughter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28