Honest question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
People knowledgeable about softball don't "look down" on HS softball. It is different than TB...e.g, the coach can't go out mid-season and steal a pitcher from another team.

There is no viable alternative to HS football. It is a ridiculously expensive sport.

Other sports (basketball, baseball, track, soccer, hockey) are like softball. There are travel teams where the skill level of the kids are higher than in HS.

1. There are top tier softball Jucos and lower level Jucos. The top tier recruit. A mediocre players isn't going to be able to "walk on" to a top tier Juco program and play.
2. Juco coaches don't attend exposure tournaments. They aren't paid enough and have no travel budget.

You flatter yourself too much. It isn't outside the box thinking. Cathy Aradi--https://www.fastpitchrecruiting.com/ --has published a book about softball recruiting for at least 30 years. (Cliff Notes Version of her book: You make a list of schools your DD wants to attend. You contact the coach to express interest and send her/him a link to the video. You follow up with the coach. You go to the coach's camps. In other words, you find an interested buyer, and then you sell your DD's softball abilities. )

Many parents are confused about the recruiting process--and, to be quite blunt, many of them prefer to remain that way. The tournament directors sell the parents on these silly exposure tournaments.
That was what I was trying to say, I guess.

Oct 3, 2019
Someone with experience working with players can recognize talent and athleticism pretty quickly. It can be seen in how they move on the field, their body language, their decision-making, their quickness to react, and their fundamental mechanics. These things are generally more telling than their success or failure on a routine play or an at bat.
I saw a 14u player like that last fall, guest playing on a 16u team. My jaw dropped. Clearly she stood out. Just standing on the field she carried herself differently. It’s really what prompted me to question the overall talent at these showcases. Maybe a player like her isn’t the bar though.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I saw a 14u player like that last fall, guest playing on a 16u team. My jaw dropped. Clearly she stood out. Just standing on the field she carried herself differently. It’s really what pronoted me to question the overall talent at these showcases. Maybe a player like her isn’t the bar though.

Elite athleticism stands out...until they are surrounded by other elite athletes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802