Home runs off outfielders glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Regarding the blown home run call, has anyone ever seen that in MLB? I haven't watched my formerly beloved Yankees in 10 years, but I used to watch them every single day. I cannot recall it happening the way it did, although I can recall a few times the ball was either interfered with or hit a wall behind the main wall and came back in to the field of play.

With replay now a part of MLB, does anyone know if that play is reviewable?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
*for conversation

The ball doesn't actually fly over the wall.
Clearly does not make it over the wall on its own.
Let me make an amendment to my statement yes see the ball was going to fly over the wall.
( however see the ball in the outfielders glove and because of that it wasn't going to go over if it stayed in her glove.)* this is why I believe it should be caught. Or even knocked back into Fair territory.
As a complement to the defensive player she knows she could have had that one.
Screenshot_20220524-064253_Chrome.jpg
If I had hit that and it went over the fence it would be because of the outfielders misfortune to have dropped it.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I thought the same thing.

If the ball was going to go yard anyway, any attempt to rob that home run isn't an error.
What do you think if the ball is clearly not going over the wall and gets knocked over? That is not a home run that is an assisted situation.

For instance the MLB example was that an error in your opinion?

Jul 5, 2016
I'm sure the fielder would like a do over, but I would think some consideration should be made of the fact that it is an airborne catch ending in hard contact with the fence.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I'm sure the fielder would like a do over, but I would think some consideration should be made of the fact that it is an airborne catch ending in hard contact with the fence.
Thankfully I play the game on the field with an expectation that may not be revealed in the scorebook!
Glad to know many teammates/ softball players who do as well!

What do you think if the ball is not flying over the wall and gets knocked over?

These are the same types of discussions that the people who make amendments to the rules consider. How about some conversation towards that?!

Jul 5, 2016
Well, I suppose that if I had two fielders equal in all respects, I would take the one who makes top of the wall flying catches, otherwise, whether I think this is an error or not, it is certainly in a different category than a dropped routine fly ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478