Home runs off outfielders glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
It is a good point to acknowledge that there are times the umpire has to determine where Runners should end up.

How would that work when a hit is prematurely ruled a home run? The umpire looks at the base runner and says - you look like a gazelle, I'll give you 3rd base or you look like a slowpoke - I'll give you 2nd.

Once the umpire declared it was a home run, that decision couldn't be undone and alternative scenarios couldn't very well be reconstructed.

I suppose they could have called it a ground rule double, but even that wouldn't have been quite right.

Jun 8, 2016
Hindsight 20/20 and the confusion of sometimes umpires making calls before plays 'could finish out' might suggest that everything should be played out and just use replay to make the formal decision. And alleviate the umpire's from interfering with the game so much.
Let's not get carried away..unless you want games lasting 3+ hours.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How would that work when a hit is prematurely ruled a home run? The umpire looks at the base runner and says - you look like a gazelle, I'll give you 3rd base or you look like a slowpoke - I'll give you 2nd.

Once the umpire declared it was a home run, that decision couldn't be undone and alternative scenarios couldn't very well be reconstructed.

I suppose they could have called it a ground rule double, but even that wouldn't have been quite right.
No not an Umpire making a pre-determination on if it's a home run.

Here for conversation.
*for conversation

The ball doesn't actually fly over the wall.
Clearly does not make it over the wall on its own.

Why then should a batter be awarded a home run?
*Seems more like a double,
(should be awarded)
similar to the ball bouncing on the ground and going over being awarded a double.

IF there is no deffensive penality(error)
*because defense chose how to play it,
*and caused it to go over
~This could be looked at as a fielders choice 🤷‍♀️

Being the score book does not always show the accuracy of what happens in the game.
(rather try's to get nearest to facts/sorta)
It seems something else should be detailed then just calling it a homerun.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah i agree, it might get boring like baseball.
Lol..was that supposed to hurt me because I like baseball? The softball snobs on here crack me up.

Here is the truth of the matter. Softball is faster but (taking off my PC hat for a second..) if you want to see players throw, hit and field with the best mechanics (on average) and most athleticism you watch baseball...sorry not sorry. There are some D1 college girls who still throw "like girls" amazingly enough..That is why I like watching both.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Lol..was that supposed to hurt me because I like baseball? The softball snobs on here crack me up. Here is the truth of the matter.

Softball is faster but if you want to see players throw, hit and field with the best mechanics (on average) and most athleticism you watch baseball...sorry not sorry. There are some D1 college girls who still throw "like girls" amazingly..That is why I like watching both.
Lol hurt NO.
Screenshot_20220523-062742_Chrome.jpg
One of the reasons I do not like MLB baseball at all is because of all the sloppy mechanics that are used on the field. Terrible examples for young players to watch in a lot of cases. Defensively especially.
Double tap ball in glove. Not good for fastpitch.
Sloppy throwing habits. Side arm from outfielders.
Long transitions getting rid of the ball.
Outfielders lazily just put one glove hand out when they could use two to secure just in case. Infield staying back on grounders. Fastpitch need to gain ground on grounders.
It's a similar game but does not always translate to how Fastpitch needs to be played. Different sport in my opinion because of Technical differences.

Jul 5, 2016
Lol hurt NO.
View attachment 25663
One of the reasons I do not like MLB baseball at all is because of all the sloppy mechanics that are used on the field. Terrible examples for young players to watch in a lot of cases. Defensively especially.
Sloppy throwing habits. Side arm from outfielders.
Outfielders lazily just put one glove hand out when they could use two to secure just in case. It's a similar game but does not always translate to how Fastpitch needs to be played. Different sport in my opinion because of Technical differences.
I wonder if we are watching the same game. I don't question that fastpitch is a high-tempo game, but I also see speed and skill on display on the MLB playing fields. And I see more women than not making glove-hand only catches rather than using two-hands as is taught to younger players.

Jun 8, 2016
Lol hurt NO.
View attachment 25663
Sloppy throwing habits.
Outfielders lazily just put in one glove hand out when they could use to to secure just in case. It's a different game but does not always translate to how Fastpitch needs to be played. Different sport in my opinion because of that. Technical differences.
Who said anybody is watching baseball to learn how to do things in fastpitch (although for a lot of things it wouldn't be a bad idea)? All I said is athletically and mechanically (the act of fielding a ground ball and throwing a ball..not the nuances that are involved with how much time a player has) baseball players are more appealing to watch for me. Men are able to do things women cannot do because of their physical advantages..not sure how you can argue against that.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I wonder if we are watching the same game. I don't question that fastpitch is a high-tempo game, but I also see speed and skill on display on the MLB playing fields. And I see more women than not making glove-hand only catches rather than using two-hands as is taught to younger players.
There are some plays that need speed in baseball.
However Not at all as regularly as in fastpitch.

Perhaps the difference could be said that baseball is a game of yards.
Fastpitch is a game of inches.

There are far more opportunities in Fastpitch where plays that the incremental difference is the technical way the defense handles the ball.
That can make a larger difference in the outcome of the out or not.

in BB the field is so large that plays can be determined more easily by the defensive player because there's just too much distance in between making the play.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Who said anybody is watching baseball to learn how to do things in fastpitch (although for a lot of things it wouldn't be a bad idea)? I said athletically and mechanically (the act of fielding a ground ball and throwing a ball..not the nuances that are involved with how much time a player has) baseball players are more appealing to watch for me.
Good for you enjoy it. If you don't recognize people watch baseball and take cues from that, not sure how you would miss that but okay 🤷‍♀️. I was pointing out differences that I notice and I'm glad I have noticed because it makes me a better softball player/instructor to teach more efficient mechanics.

Btw appreciate the opportunity to bring that out in discussion for others to read so they can pay attention to it also!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2