Home runs off outfielders glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Not an error…running, jumping into the fence trying to save a homerun…come on. Standing with your butt on the fence camped under a fly ball that hits your glove and bounces over is an error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
No doubt the outfielder did an excellent job trying to get that hit.
Score it as it may,
However
Every outfielder I know and played with in college would have known they had the skills to have kept that in their glove!

if I had hit that ball and it was scored as a home run, would know it was because got lucky on the Fielder's misfortune.

*** my comment is a complement to the ability of the outfielders believing in that they could/should have had that!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Heres the other one

Simply sharing that on the field and especially at this level the expectation is catch the ball.
Like seeing the seriousness in her body language towards what happened.
Her ownership to responsibilities of her position must be tremendous. Would imagine she knows that one got away.

*Regardless of how it is scored.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
*for conversation

The ball doesn't actually fly over the wall.
Clearly does not make it over the wall on its own.

Why then should a batter be awarded a home run?
*Seems more like a double,
(should be awarded)
similar to the ball bouncing on the ground and going over being awarded a double.

IF there is no deffensive penality(error)
*because defense chose how to play it,
*and caused it to go over
~This could be looked at as a fielders choice 🤷‍♀️

Being the score book does not always show the accuracy of what happens in the game.
(rather try's to get nearest to facts/sorta)
It seems something else should be detailed then just calling it a homerun.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
The play last night with the home run for MS State versus USF was the opposite of aided by the glove. The fact it wasn't reviewable is a bad decision on college softball's part.
If the play was reviewed and it was determined that it was not a home run, what then? Where do you put the runners? If the umpires had kept quiet, the players would have treated the ball as in play and maybe the batter ends up on 2nd or maybe 3rd. If the coach appeals and, on appeal, it is ruled a home run, then no problem figuring out where the baserunners should end up.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
It is a good point to acknowledge that there are times the umpire has to determine where Runners should end up.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Not an error…running, jumping into the fence trying to save a homerun…
An outfielder running jumping and stretching to catch the ball is a common expectation and the fence did not knock the ball out of her glove.

In at least one example the ball was not over the fence.
It was befor the fence. And not a home run.

Where the players chooses to start defensively could create your comment. of 'camping under the ball'
However the parameters of the field are equal for both teams.
* if players were to start in the same spot then one player could be camped underneath the ball and the other not.
Due to things like speed and fast jump on the ball. Error could be a late jump and not sprinting fast enough to get there to be camped underneath it. The determination of the ball being able to be caught is what the expectation imo should be.

imo at this level the ball was hit inside the park it should be caught.
*Maybe that would be the difference between a line drive that got there so fast or some Hang Time on a Fly ball🤷‍♀️
But an outfielder stretching to catch a fly ball is a common expectation.

* it is important to recognize I don't care what the score book looks like. I care what happens on the field 😎

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Hindsight is 20/20 but this is why if there is any doubt you probably don't rule it a HR on the field initially..
Hindsight 20/20 and the confusion of sometimes umpires making calls before plays 'could finish out' might suggest that everything should be played out and just use replay to make the formal decision. And alleviate the umpire's from interfering with the game so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802