Home Run or Double?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2015
Who gave the HR signal besides the hitter?

If you watch the batter, she stops at 2nd base and looks to where the field ump should be. She then begins cheering and I think it is assumed the he is giving the homerun signal. That was my assumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I'm guessing we have to split hairs here further than what the rules define, and what any umpire could possibly see in real time and real distance. The slow-mo replays showed the ball catching the front corner of the fence. It did not carom off any of the metal structure behind the fence. Physically, there was no way that ball could bounce back without catching the corner, which you could argue is the front of the fence. If it cleanly hit the top, it would have bounced over. It probably did "break the plane" of the fence, like the nose of the football crossing the goal plane, but how much of the ball breaking that plane qualifies as a home run? A padded wall muddies the waters even more.
The field ump at 3rd base was the first one to give the signal, just as the runner was approaching 2nd, then she went into her home-run trot (which is still pretty fast). With the signal given, there was no point in the defense chasing her down to tag, although the plate umpire kept swiveling her head watching the play like it was still a live ball.

Fortunately this call had no impact on who won the game.

May 29, 2019
Who knows that the ump "saw". If he had the same angle of that camera view, he may have thought it hit that light pole. The other umps didn't seem as convinced.

I've never heard of "breaking the plane" of the fence. I always thought it either stays in the park or goes out, unless there is a specific ground rule for a certain park.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I'm guessing we have to split hairs here further than what the rules define, and what any umpire could possibly see in real time and real distance. The slow-mo replays showed the ball catching the front corner of the fence. It did not carom off any of the metal structure behind the fence. Physically, there was no way that ball could bounce back without catching the corner, which you could argue is the front of the fence. If it cleanly hit the top, it would have bounced over. It probably did "break the plane" of the fence, like the nose of the football crossing the goal plane, but how much of the ball breaking that plane qualifies as a home run? A padded wall muddies the waters even more.
The field ump at 3rd base was the first one to give the signal, just as the runner was approaching 2nd, then she went into her home-run trot (which is still pretty fast). With the signal given, there was no point in the defense chasing her down to tag, although the plate umpire kept swiveling her head watching the play like it was still a live ball.

Fortunately this call had no impact on who won the game.

This is consistent with what I saw. You're correct...there is no way that ball actually hits the flush top of the fence and bounces back like that. A portion of the replay actually showed the ump on the 3B side giving the HR signal, but I'm not sure the others were as convinced. Since there's no replay in college softball, it's probably hard to undo that call. No other umpire had a better view that could lead them to unambiguously say that the umpire signalling HR had it wrong. Never heard of the "breaking the plane" threshold for a HR.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I thought it hit the light pole when I saw it live, but clearly it didn't even clear the wall on replay.

Ed, if you're giving HRs to balls that hit at the top of the wall how do you define top? If that's the rule shouldn't they paint a HR stripe on the wall?

Oct 24, 2010
This shows the replay. You can see the dimple in the wall to see exactly where the ball hits. Jump to 31 minutes if my link doesn't do it for you.

This is unambiguous. Design ballparks with stupid features, get stupid results.

ETA: I suppose I should clarify. Build a ballpark with some feature such as a shed, railing, light pole, scoreboard, outhouse, etc., just beyond the fence, someone will declare the ball hit said feature and rule a home run.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2016
KISS... Keep it simple ballpark designers/rules people. If it clears the entire wall or hits the top and does not come back into the field of play = HR. If it hits ANY part of the wall and comes back = in Play. Seems simple to me to understand.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That pole is like 8 feet from the wall. It's really unacceptable if the umpire thought it hit that pole and bounced back in an upward direction. Thinking it hit that second wall? OK, maybe.

I don't see how this could be correctly ruled a home run. It hit the wall and bounced back. I know in baseball at least, (unless there are specific ground rules addressing unique wall designs) a ball striking the top of the wall and bouncing back is a ball in play.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee