Home Run Derby - Ghost vs LXT

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
My DD used to use LXTs exclusively than she switched to a Ghost because everyone on her team had one. She says she doesn't feel any sting with the LXT and that why she likes it. I thought about getting her a 32/22 LXT on bat day too because I knew the 31/21 LXT would be lighter than the 31/20 ghost but DW vetoed that idea. I am not even sure if it is lighter or just the swing weight feels different because the barrel is longer.

She used it one tournament so far. The LXT had high average but no any real big shots.

For reference my almost 12 year old is 5'3" and 145#.

Dec 11, 2010
Do you (as in everybody reading this) think there is a big difference between high end bats when the ball is barreled up (like it most often is in BP) or is the biggest difference going to be in how forgiving a bat is when it isn't barreled up?
I think forgiveness when it isn’t barreled up is what I would say. I‘ll ask dd when I talk to her later this week.

@ANNASDAD The farthest ball dd2 ever hit was two summers ago with a 34/24 LXT. Also the only time she went back to back. Both balls pulled, she’s usually a gap to gap hitter. Only reason I bought that bat was she needed a dual stamp. She went right back to the grey ghost as soon as she could.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
I think forgiveness when it isn’t barreled up is what I would say. I‘ll ask dd when I talk to her later this week.

@ANNASDAD The farthest ball dd2 ever hit was two summers ago with a 34/24 LXT. Also the only time she went back to back. Both balls pulled, she’s usually a gap to gap hitter. Only reason I bought that bat was she needed a dual stamp. She went right back to the grey ghost as soon as she could.
Always looking for extra 34-24 LXT ;)

Dec 11, 2010
Always looking for extra 34-24 LXT ;)
I actually tried to sell it locally but bats weren’t moving so I took it down! I usually try to sell all my used stuff in the spring but who knows- seems like there have been a LOT of bats for sale all year.

I am really hoping to have her try that bat again over the winter break. I am praying for some nice days after Thanksgiving so we can hit outside.

After that, I think that bat has gotta go! I have several going on the block including her two minty fresh 33/25 Advanced and a Power Carbon!

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
I actually tried to sell it locally but bats weren’t moving so I took it down! I usually try to sell all my used stuff in the spring but who knows- seems like there have been a LOT of bats for sale all year.

I am really hoping to have her try that bat again over the winter break. I am praying for some nice days after Thanksgiving so we can hit outside.

After that, I think that bat has gotta go! I have several going on the block including her two minty fresh 33/25 Advanced and a Power Carbon!
Well, if and when. you know where to go. I want the 34 inch

May 4, 2020
Took my 12U DD out to a local park to compare her new 2020 LXT (31/21) vs her USSSA Ghost (31/20). The bats are pretty close in weight. Backed up a pretty good distance from a 16' fence and compared how many she hit over with each. It was pretty much a draw. Both of these bats are pretty hot. I wish I had a Ghost 31/21 to compare the LXT too. Her teammate had one but it cracked in the last tournament. I might have to buy one from Core and update this comparison. She does have a USA 31/20 Ghost. We might give it a try. She just didn't have it with her.
I did the same thing a few weeks back but it was a Ghost Advanced vs 20 LXT.
Same amount of HR’s the dingers with Ghost Adv averaged 220’. 250, LXT was more 200-230’.
Now given the $100 difference in price and heavier weight of the Advanced the LXT represents damn good.
I like both bats and they both have their place in DD’s bat bag. These are her gamers. The DS & Xeno are her BP bats.

May 4, 2020
I can honestly say my DD's homerun numbers went down when she went to the Ghost, in games and practice. She was ALWAYS an LTX girl from 14U up, when she finally wanted to try a Ghost she loved the feel and feedback and switched over. I feel she always hit the ball harder with an LXT, but what do I know?

She still hit quite a few homers with the Ghost, but just not on a regular basis like with the LXT.
I feel the exact same way AD. DD does well with both but more consistent with LXT. But she always reaches for the Ghost no matter how well she does with the LXT when I suggest she give it a try.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
DD has a 2020 Ghost Advanced and 2021 LXT (also had a number of 2020 LXTs); hits ridiculous amounts of balls; prefers the LXT by quite a bit. Problem is they are pretty fragile & she breaks quite a few. Tradeoff we are willing to make all day long though!

Jun 4, 2019
DD has a dual Stamp 33-23 coming from a 17 hyper LXT. She only went to ghost because she swing her sisters. Sisters bat has already been replaced because of crack. I really like pop and sound off the LXT. But what do I know. I'm big fan of the hyper.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Do you (as in everybody reading this) think there is a big difference between high end bats when the ball is barreled up (like it most often is in BP) or is the biggest difference going to be in how forgiving a bat is when it isn't barreled up?

IMO, this is it right here. Some bats, particularly end-weighted, are more likely to hit one out if perfect contact is made. However, for myself and DD, I've always searched for the balanced bat with the larger sweet spot. Bat speed, control, and the ability to get around on a pitch and get the best leverage and makes a hard hit (long) ball more likely. I've always trained DD to hit deep line drives rather than high fly balls. If a girl is reasonably strong, hitting the ball like that will produce HRs as a byproduct while generating a good average. I'd rather have a small miss be a laser-shot or hard grounder than a pop-up.

I helped with a higher-end national this summer. Bats were inspected prior to the tournament and then each game and tagged if there were defects. The tagged bats were then stored in the TD's office until the owner was no longer in the tournament. I was amazed at the number of broken Ghosts...I mean BIG cracks, rattles, and wobbles. There were also a smaller number of the newer LXTs. None of the bats were very old, but many of those bats looked beat to hell...lots of metal cleat marks and indications of machine ball use.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee