Home made pitching mat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I had been shopping for a pitching mat for indoor use in my garage. The ones that are online for sale look like quality products but I just didn't want to spend anymore than I had to with it being Christmas time and birthday time about 2 weeks apart so I started looking into building my own and I have around $50 in it. My price is a little lower than the actual total because I already had a pitching plate and I really feel like I should have bought two more feet of mat.

Parts needed:
3/8 rubber stall mat. These are available at Tractor Supply Co for about $7.50 a foot. They are 4 ft wide. I bought 7' but recommend 9'. My DD doesn't stride off it but I am really close to end so I would expect for an older, more athletic pitcher to possibly be at the end. My other thought is doing push backs. It needs to have the plate a little more off the end so there is room to step. $67.50
1 can white marking/striping paint. Easy to use pointed down. $6.50
3" masking tape and possibly some news paper $5
Small tube of liquid nails $5
24x6 pitching plate $30

About $115 maximum cost and 1 hour of time. I built mine for $65 but I had a pitching plate and only got 7' of mat.

The mat
image.jpg

Masking
image.jpg

I going to recommend some paper to cover the sides of the mat to protect from over spray. I was pretty careful to not paint outside the lines but the dust of the overspray shows up on the mat.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Finished product
image.jpg

Think I am also going to paint the outside edge just for visual reference.

I am also hoping to be able to use outside in the spring in case it is muddy but we need to work. Could also use it in the driveway.

Hope this helps someone that likes to make their own equipment.

Jun 12, 2015
Very cool! We have a rug duct taped to our basement floor but it's not long enough. It's 6' and she strides right off the end. I've been trying to decide whether to just buy one premade or get the pad from tractor supply. Yours is pretty great :)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
An option instead of spray paint is Gorilla brand duct tape... It comes in many colors. I used it on the power line stripe on my homemade mat 3 years ago, and it's still in great shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802