HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Coiling the back leg is long. Coiling into the back hip is a result. Is that what you mean?
If your foot is attached to the ground the leg will be torqued either way. Wasn’t saying how it should happen. Either way does the actual coil present any appreciable rotational energy into the ball or does it (in the case of into the back hip) just allow one to move forward into a good FYB position?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
So I am trying both patterns. Rotating over rear hip socket (1 legged) and landing and rotating around spine (2 legged). I feel more power/momentum rotating around spine but I do think you can see the ball longer and hit ball deeper rotating over rear hip socket. Also turning over the rear hip socket feels like a lower back injury in the making. I think JD Martinez has a great pattern. Has anybody checked out the renewed Tyler Ward from the Angels? He has found something. Probably more mental than mechanical.
Tyler Ward looks like an HLP prototype, IMO.

Feb 25, 2020
This one is pretty good for physics.

The greatest acceleration of the bat(BY FAR) is right before contact...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If your foot is attached to the ground the leg will be torqued either way. Wasn’t saying how it should happen. Either way does the actual coil present any appreciable rotational energy into the ball or does it (in the case of into the back hip) just allow one to move forward into a good FYB position?

The upper going back while the lower goes forward will give you coil. If you can keep the hands back while you get the front foot down and hold that position(like AP), you will have core stretch. I think everyone knows that. I hope. Wasn’t trying to coil. Was trying to get forward w the hands staying back. Like the holding of the pole demo by numerous guru types. Walk away from the hands. You can do it through the back knee as well.

Rotation to me is the result of the core contraction. Which is active. Does that answer your question? Probably not? Ask it in a different way

Reactions: TDS
Jun 8, 2016
The upper going back while the lower goes forward will give you coil. If you can keep the hands back while you get the front foot down and hold that position(like AP), you will have core stretch. I think everyone knows that. I hope. Wasn’t trying to coil. Was trying to get forward w the hands staying back. Like the holding of the pole demo by numerous guru types. Walk away from the hands. You can do it through the back knee as well.

Rotation to me is the result of the core contraction. Which is active. Does that answer your question? Probably not? Ask it in a different way
That was good enough.

Feb 25, 2020
Ok so what does that tell you (if true) (that is the physics..what that showed is just numbers)

it tells me that greatest Force/torque occurs when the bat handle is past the hitter's body. Long after the "snap" or the obliquing takes place. (there is close to no body rotation)

Jun 8, 2016
it tells me that greatest Force/torque occurs when the bat handle is past the hitter's body. Long after the "snap" or the obliquing takes place. (there is close to no body rotation)
For some reason I thought I remember reading that acceleration was zero right before contact (or maybe I am just remembering FFS saying that)

Either way even though I started it, I sort of dislike trying to describe hitting with physics 😂

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This one is pretty good for physics.

The greatest acceleration of the bat(BY FAR) is right before contact...

He is more of a out front hitter. Perhaps short to long. Gives up extension as an adjustment and extends.

Yes late batspeed being created. Over rated as a hitter, check the numbers.

Very little early bat speed. To much movement without the barrel turning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478