HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Not quite Shawn..

This is "swing is the shift" with the rear leg as the primary driver after slipping the hip..

kpbEWxY.gif

The Core movement pattern maintains the rear leg/hip relationship while becoming leveraged fyb.. The forward shift has been completed but still dynamic once leveraged.

ltBshFv.gif

It’s funny the first two swings I looked at of Trout show the same actions of AGon. One was with a timing adjustment and he still stayed one legged.

I guess I’ll have to wait for a clip hitting 2 legged.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Anthony Rendon has a weird swing. I like it. It is different. It is land, stretch, then fire. He is far from textbook. People see what they want to see. How anyone can anybody say Trout is one legged is beyond me. Every once and a while you might catch him off and he appears to be one legged but that is an adjustment. Most use two legs. Why wouldn't you use both legs. Even Judge uses both legs. So, did BB. They may like the "feeling" of rotating over hip socket but end up rotating around spine most of the time. To say Mile Trout rotates over his hip socket requires crazy imagination.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Anthony Rendon has a weird swing. I like it. It is different. It is land, stretch, then fire. He is far from textbook. People see what they want to see. How anyone can anybody say Trout is one legged is beyond me. Every once and a while you might catch him off and he appears to be one legged but that is an adjustment. Most use two legs. Why wouldn't you use both legs. Even Judge uses both legs. So, did BB. They may like the "feeling" of rotating over hip socket but end up rotating around spine most of the time. To say Mile Trout rotates over his hip socket requires crazy imagination.

Uhh? You shouldn’t make to much off of slow motion. You will start seeing weird crap that doesn’t exist.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So, TTB is not required for swing is the shift?

I ask because I've always read and heard stated that if one is using the HLP swing is the shift pattern, it absolutely requires TTB because of the type of or lack of leverage being created.

The barrel is turned on every swing. The barrel is whipped using all patterns from a hand pivot point. The HLP pattern forces the torque/snap supination during the rear leg/hip slip.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I appreciate this thread because I don't always see the "obvious" differences y'all argue about in the various other threads, and while I think certain ideas about hitting are better than others (mostly because of what I think I see), I'm not married to a philosophy necessarily. So please know that my questions are genuine and not coming from any particular side-taking.

In this Bonds clip, it looks to me like the shift then swing is the result of him being early on a breaking pitch, pausing (because he's Barry Bonds and he can adjust in a way very few humans can), being strong enough to keep his hands back, and then unloading when the ball finally arrives.

So, is this how Bonds always does it (shift then swing)? Is it a good idea to use a pitch where he was initially fooled in these discussions? Is this kind of adjustability not possible with "swing is the shift"? Are there actually even two different "styles" or are we looking at two different context-dependent movements?

CoachJD, Its how Bonds moves (movement pattern) that allows for him to move out FB and sit the off-speed.

3wLHMQV.gif

zB3k6ZC.gif

Oct 2, 2017
The barrel is turned on every swing. The barrel is whipped using all patterns from a hand pivot point. The HLP pattern forces the torque/snap supination during the rear leg/hip slip.
ok, but how did you determine that Agon didn't fore torque/snap?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802