Hittrax on the "higher side of reality"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
I've been getting emails about "Friday night fights" with hittrax and some of the numbers on the leaderboard are pretty damn high. I've heard before that hittrax kinda scores you on the high side of reality, as if you were hitting in a vacuum. I'm considering this as a fun thing for my DD to do, but I'm really curious about it. Are they using real FP balls, dimple balls, slow pitch balls, baseballs? Or is their scoring just devoid of any real world issues like humidity and wind resistance? I can only imagine the best of the best of the best FP players in the history of all FP players hitting a ball 300+ ft in the air.

Curious minds want to know...

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I've been getting emails about "Friday night fights" with hittrax and some of the numbers on the leaderboard are pretty damn high. I've heard before that hittrax kinda scores you on the high side of reality, as if you were hitting in a vacuum. I'm considering this as a fun thing for my DD to do, but I'm really curious about it. Are they using real FP balls, dimple balls, slow pitch balls, baseballs? Or is their scoring just devoid of any real world issues like humidity and wind resistance? I can only imagine the best of the best of the best FP players in the history of all FP players hitting a ball 300+ ft in the air.

Curious minds want to know...

My DD has hit on hittrax many times...... The launch angle and exit speed’s are on point..... as far as distance I would think that it takes zero atmospheric considerations in the calculation nor does it consider spin of the ball. With that being said there are different settings of “boost” that can be applied. It does make hitting in the cage a whole lot funnier though...... We always used real balls but you can use whatever you would want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It seems to me that Hittrax is best used as a comparison tool to itself rather than the real world. As long as the setting and balls are consistent, comparison between users (or for measuring ones own improvement) is valid, but distance numbers in the real world probably won't translate because of the factors mentioned.

It's kind of like my bathroom scale. I don't know how accurate it is relative to any other scale in the world, but I can see my own weight changes relative to the previous times I've used it.

Apr 16, 2013
I think my DD may take part on Friday. "Maybe" at this point. A few of the #'s I see on the national leaderboard seem near off the wall. Not impossible, but improbable. I'm certainly curious how my DD will rank. Regardless, it seems like a fun idea, competing with other girls across the nation. Sounds like a team of 2 do a virtual "game". If it all works out we'll do it Friday night and I'll post my thoughts. :)

Sep 21, 2017
PA
We had a few local places do HitTrax "leagues" over the winter. About half of my varsity team was in it. Teams of 4 and they all competed against other teams with winners based of certain metrics. I cannot remember what the categories were who determined who won.

My girls had a blast with it. Got some meaningful swings in while also competing to get better individually and to help their team win.

As far as numbers go, I've seen places post numbers that obviously were with the boost on. But also, a couple of my girls are on the website leaderboards for our part of the Country. I've seen their numbers off hittrax and recorded off pocket radar and they aren't that different at all. I don't believe numbers that involve boost are recorded by hittrax for their leaderboards. But it is fun to turn that thing up and hit 600ft bombs! :)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
You should definitely do it. It's a blast. But you and DD need to discuss how some of the numbers may not be accurate.

We use a hittrax when trying and buying bats. As Eric says above, it lets you compare things. Girls, bats, etc.

Apr 16, 2013
Well, unfortunately I'm being told that the leaderboard #'s are from girls doing private lessons. They're not actually taking part in the "Friday night fights" program. :-( So most likely we're SOL. Another "covid restriction" roadblock. *sigh*

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812