Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hello I have been having success at the plate for almost three months but lately I have been told that I am "dipping my shoulder" and that is causing my shoulders to open wrong or to soon which is causing me to take my eyes off the ball. They countinue to tell me this but never tell me how to fix it. In other words I am confused about what I am doing wrong and I have no idea how to fix it. I would love for some advice please!

May 12, 2008
Hello I have been having success at the plate for almost three months but lately I have been told that I am "dipping my shoulder" and that is causing my shoulders to open wrong or to soon which is causing me to take my eyes off the ball. They countinue to tell me this but never tell me how to fix it. In other words I am confused about what I am doing wrong and I have no idea how to fix it. I would love for some advice please!

Chances are the difference between you and the people giving you hitting advice is, you realize you are confused. Here's a start. Compare the advice you get to these elite female hitters. Let that be your truth detector. Siggy's Hitting Clips - ImageEvent

May 12, 2008
If you want more, register on the free public side of Englishbeyhitting and read everything there. Read everything on here that Boardmember, Ssarge, and several others post. And yeah, if you can post a video on here and on Englishbey's site you will get good help. On here you will get good help and some not so good help as it's a public board and anyone, just about, can post. But sorting out the good from the not so good is a more important life skill than how to hit so that's not a bad deal either.

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
Instead of looking at video clips focus on your problem. When a hitter drops there back shoulder its because the backside is weak. Correct the backside drop by driving the back heel and knee to contact that keeps the back side on plane.Connect that with the hands throwing the bat on an inside path through the ball towards the pitcher and the results will be what you are lookin for.One thing to remember is to try to keep the barrel of the bat above the hands as long as possible,to do that you must pull as much with the bottom hand as you throw with the bottom hand.

Thanks for all the advice but to clear my problem up a little bit my left shoulder might be opening up to much and is causing me to dip and my eyes come off the ball. But i am still a little confused.

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
The reason your front side flys open is because your backside is the only side working. Try connecting backside drive with front hand throw through the ball, that will keep your hands and shoulders on the plane of the ball without dipping the shoulders. The body must work with equal and opposite movements to stay balanced and powerfull.

May 12, 2008
Instead of looking at video clips focus on your problem..

Considering the pitiful state of hitting instruction she doesn't really know if she has a problem till she checks what her coaches say she is doing and checks what she is really doing against slow motion video of elite hitters. IOW, most hitting advice is horse puckey and anyone who issues confident advice based on a written description of a hitter's problems is using the SWAG method at best. Got to go now. More later.

SoftballGirl,

Beware of hitting advice anywhere. Especially the net. Most of it turns out to be horse hockey when compared to slow motion video of the best in the world.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If your parents would let you send me video clips, I would help you.

Perhaps you have the correct posture (forward tilt, front shoulder up) and your coach just doesn't know.

I don't see how having a shoulder dip would cause you to take your eye off the ball.

Start with a lot of work off of the tee. You can set that up in your garage and use a tarp to hit into. Do a lot of reps, but first you have to make sure you are doing a few things correctly. Amy

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
Sounds like MarkH is softball so anyone who has had teaching success outside of his world is horsepucky.Those who can teach,those who cant try to show them up with small video clips that mean very little to those trying to learn a complex motor skill. Tell me how to get to these positions with your swing sequence I've told you how Mendoza and Pujols work to get there but thats horsepuckytoo I'd bet!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28