Hitting with one arm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Mark-

Nice to see you changing your position on torque:

Baseball Fever - View Single Post - Alligator Arms

MARKH: "I'm of the opinion the great majority of the energy of the whip is from powerful connected rotation. I'm also of the opinion I can't prove it."

Now, the next step is to understand that Manking is right and BM is wrong for the MLB pattern where the torquing starts early,even prior to launch/"CHP" as "prelaunch THT".

You'll understand this some day, but will you admit it ?

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
For the golfer, here is an example of NOT "delaying the hit" by holding the hinge, but instead unhinging the wrists early which can work fine in a 2 plane golf swing:

YouTube - David Toms Driver SwingVision

This makes for more consistent contact by making the clubhead path shallower/more room for error in both avoding fat/thin problems AND in timing of club face closure which are the limiting factors when the clubhead path gets too narrow and steep.

This early unhinging widens the sides of the swing so it looks less like a "V" and more like a Nike swoosh.

Contrary to Kostis' analysis, this does not have to limit power because this early unhinging action is accelerating the club down in a plane different enough from the one the hips are turning the body in (Toms has a 2 plane swing similar to the MLB swing patetrn) which creates large resistance to hip turn so that there can be more stretch and fire of the torso which provides power.

May 12, 2008
Mark-

Nice to see you changing your position on torque:

Baseball Fever - View Single Post - Alligator Arms

MARKH: "I'm of the opinion the great majority of the energy of the whip is from powerful connected rotation. I'm also of the opinion I can't prove it."

Now, the next step is to understand that Manking is right and BM is wrong for the MLB pattern where the torquing starts early,even prior to launch/"CHP" as "prelaunch THT".

You'll understand this some day, but will you admit it ?

In case anyone is wondering why Tom is answering me here instead of the board where I made the post, it's because Tom has been thrown off that board for his usual nonsense. He also teaches, apparently, no one. He tells the world what all the gurus REALLY mean regardless of what they say and of course he hangs out at UFO conventions. Judge for yourself.

Jul 14, 2008
Now this IS funny........

For the golfer, here is an example of NOT "delaying the hit" by holding the hinge, but instead unhinging the wrists early which can work fine in a 2 plane golf swing:

Direct quote from the analyst regarding David Toms Mechanics:

"And, he gonna lose a lot of the angle between his lead arm and the shaft. That's a power leak!"

That's right Tom: "A POWER LEAK"..........

tom.guerry said:
Contrary to Kostis' analysis, this does not have to limit power because this early unhinging action is accelerating the club down in a plane different enough from the one the hips are turning the body in (Toms has a 2 plane swing similar to the MLB swing patetrn) which creates large resistance to hip turn so that there can be more stretch and fire of the torso which provides power.

Contrary to Kostis analysis? Says Who? YOU? Now that's REALLY funny..........

Lets examine the qualifications:

Peter Kostis: World Renowned Premier Golf Instructor and Swing Analyst. 20 year member of Golf Digest Teaching Staff. Founder of one of the finest Golf Instruction Learning Centers in the World..........

Tom Guerry: 20+ Handicap ENT at Kaiser Perm...........UFOologist, and Alien Abduction Expert..........Cult Leader, Co-Founder/Pontificator at Hitting Mis-Illustrated...........

Ya OK Tom, we'll take your word for it..........:eek:

The problem is YOU don't understand WHY it's a power leak. When you figure that out, 2 things will happen.

1.) Your handicap will drop.

2.) Your swing analysis will be credible.

Until then, neither is the case.........:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 17, 2008
Two corrections:

Tom: I don't think you drink too much. In fact, your posts (ramblings) are frightening in light of your sobriety.

BoardMember: Based on his HMO's web site, I believe Tom is a ear-nose-throat surgeon, not a pediatrician. He does not work with kid hitters OR kid patients.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
BM -

Hardy and Kostis disagree on this.

I will pick Hardy because his separation of swings in to one and 2 planes is a far more effective foundation for analysis than anything Kostis has demonstrated.

Power is generally adequate regardless of whether or not you hold the hinge. What is more important in 2 plane golf is having the swing plane (which tends to be excessively vertical/steep in the 2 P pattern) shallow enough to enable consistent impact. The early unhinging can give less steep swing and make impact more consisent.

On another note, BM, have you and Mark worked out your casting disagreement yet ?

Baseball Fever - View Single Post - Yes or no

This slopitch swing is very similar to the 2 plane golf swing and any drag here due to back elbow leading hands is not a problem or reducing batspeed or forcing the hands to cast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lt0c...eature=related

Also, note this hitter is not letting the hinge angle narrow beyond about 90 degrees and he isn't delaying unhinging, letting the hinge widen before the lag position,

He is swinging down in such a different plane (2 plane swing) from the level hip turn that separation increases and it helps accelerate the bat when the hinge keeps from getting to narrow by adding to the resistance that finishes the coiling of the torso and by preventing inertia from slowing the bat acceleration when the torso segment unloads.

In the first link above, BM said:

IMO you could break CASTING down further. One can "cast the hands" in a manor that your speak.

[extension at back elbow which has gotten ahead of hands]

One can "cast the bat head", without casting the hands, simply by unhinging the angle between the lead arm and bat.........

BM, there is another way of casting which is required in the MLB pattern which is casting the bathead, not the hands, by arm and foream action, NOT involving the early unhinging of the wrists which is well described by Mankin as prelaunch THT and THT at launch and by your Buddy Richard as "immediate launch and spend".

Early handle torque that adds to resistance, assists in controlling loading and keeping hands back and gives the bat a running start necessary to prevent drag in a quick swing with early batspeed and late adjustment of a well matched contact zone/bathead trajectory.

http://www.batspeed.com/messageboard/output/12664.html

Mankin:

While watching a hitter swing in slow motion, one would note that the hands are accelerated a good distance before the bat head arcs outward with much authority. I would agree that most of the angular displacement (or arcing out) of the bat head occurs as the hands nears it's full forward travel component. An overhead view of the swing will clearly show this. My problem is with the conclusion that therefore the batter should delay applying forces that generate angular bat head acceleration until later in the swing. Rather, the large resistance offered by the inertia (resistance to acceleration) of the bat head retards the batter's effort to gain more angular displacement earlier. Although the arcing out of the bat head in the early part of the swing may appear slow on film, it is important to keep in mind that it takes a great amount of force over time to overcome inertia an attain a higher rate of angular acceleration.

Delay in applying forces to overcome inertia until later in the swing will not lessen its impedance to bat speed development. Great hitters initiate the swing with torque and rotational forces to develop as much bat speed as early in the swing as possible.

http://www.batspeed.com/research09.html

http://www.batspeed.com/messageboard/output/14319.html

Jul 14, 2008
Tom, as an "arm chair instructor" I understand it's hard for you to apply your "universal theory" to "real life" situations.

I'm also not going to get into the semantics of applying resistance to rotational inertia caused by the mass of the bat, and applying active torque to that mass at launch, causing a cast, and a "power leak". You clearly don't/can't understand it, because you don't coach or hit.

I've made it very clear on several occasions, and it appears Jack subcribes to the same conclusion, that resistance to inertial mass is a requirment.

To a non-hitter/non-coach like yourself, understanding that there is an "INERTIAL BUILD" that happens during the first few frames of launch, is beyond your capabilities. This inertial build causes a gradual resistance to build against that force, and eventually over takes the inertial force provided by the mass of the bat with the assistance of angular acceleration.

You may continue giving your arm chair "internet advise" to anyone who will listen with stuff like "torque the handle at go". To do so completely proves your lack of understanding of allowing intertial build to become an "advantage" to a hitter.

I'll just finish by providing a sampling of something you clearly can't understand from the comfort of your own couch.

A.) No Cast sample:
2qmknr8.gif

B.) Cast sample (power bleed):
35c4kqw.gif

One of these hitters is "torqing the handle at go", causing a cast, and one is using the inertial build to his advantage WITHOUT casting the bat head. Pay close attention to the bat head vs. the hands at "go":

s49i5u.gif
35c0npd.gif

When you learn the difference between allowing inertial build to create power, and "BLEEDING POWER" by casting (torqing the handle at go), your handicap is liable to come down.......like mine..........

And your hitting advise will be somewhat more credible.......

Keep and open mind and learn from someone "in the field".....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478