Hitting the riseball thread is closed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Once again, a good question and interesting discussion has deteriorated into an argument over who is right and who is wrong about hitting. By page three it had nothing to do with strategies for hitting the rise anymore.

Not only have I closed the thread, I have deleted the majority of the posts on there. Let me make this clear again:

This is not the place to carry out your personal vendettas. This is not the place to try and show how much smarter you are than everyone else. There are plenty of places on the Internet where you can do that. Go there and have at it. Knock yourselves out. Say what you want about everyone who doesn't agree with you.

But don't do that here. We are not interested in that type of "discussion." It is not productive and is instead a waste of both time and server space.

You are welcome to state what you believe and why. DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT speak for anyone else. Do not personally attack anyone else as being stupid, ill-informed, completely out of it, full of crap, a mindless follower or anything else. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

And I've got news for all of you. NONE of you are "right." There is no right. There's only what you think. So state your opinions and keep the discussion positive. Remember, the purpose of this Forum is to help others by providing information that helps them help their players and/or their daughters. If what you're posting doesn't do that, take it somewhere else. And no, stating someone else is wrong doesn't qualify as helping.

Are we clear?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ken,

I'm sorry it turned into that. I do believe I posted a good topic for discussion. I didn't get a chance to read about my questions on pitching machines. I think that last page was deleted.

If it is permissible, please, thoughts on the pitching machine throwing a rise. I do know it isn't game like but I want a strategy I can have my dd work on to get ready for this young lady in conference next year. Again, I know BoardMember's suggestion to move back in the box and so, that is what we will do. However, this weekend, the first AB, the ump called the high pitch a strike and so, she K'd. I want to prepare for any and all.

Again, Ken, I apologize if I had anything to do with continuing the argument.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Cannonball, you had nothing to do with the argument as far as I recall. Yours was a good question and the type of question this forum is for. You were asking for strategies -- a very legitimate purpose.

What happen was the thread got hijacked, and we got right back into whose hitting technique (generally, not specific to the rise ball) is best, which then deteriorated into the usual schoolyard name calling.

Can you re-post your question above as a new thread? I think it's perfectly legitimate and a great question. Keep 'em coming. I'm sorry if I deleted that question -- the more I read the angrier I got at the direction that thread took and the more I just starting deleting everything -- but at this point it will probably be answered better in a new thread anyway. Thanks.

Jun 24, 2008
As a frequent reader but rare responder in many of those threads, I have one question.

Why does it always degenerate into an internet urination contest?

Me personally, I found a LOT of useful information in that now-84 page thread over at Baseball Debate...a lot of stuff to make me think and go out and experiment with. I just don't get why there is all that hatred and animosity being spewed from all sides. It completely takes away from what could be an excellent discussion.

Jun 6, 2009
As a frequent reader but rare responder in many of those threads, I have one question.

Why does it always degenerate into an internet urination contest?

Me personally, I found a LOT of useful information in that now-84 page thread over at Baseball Debate...a lot of stuff to make me think and go out and experiment with. I just don't get why there is all that hatred and animosity being spewed from all sides. It completely takes away from what could be an excellent discussion.

Me too and thats why I don't usually offer much in most hitting discussions, because I don't feel like offering opinions when a) I haven't really made up my mind in what is the "proper way to swing" b) don't feel like waisting my time defending what I offered as opinion and devolving into endless pages of minutiae.

Why this happens I don't know but it has pretty much been that way over the 15 or so years I have been following the discussions on the internet.(RSS,FPF,eteamz,BBF just to name a few).

I have also worked in MLB for over 10 years(no not in any coaching/playing capacity) and in those years I have had the opportunity to be at countless meet and greets where members of the public get to hit with professional hitting instructors and in MLB BP as well. 95% of the terms I have heard in internet hitting discussions have never been used by MLB players/coaches. As a matter of fact, the most frequent ones i've heard in MLB are the very ones that meet with so much derision on the internet.

Who's right/who's wrong....I have no idea. I am coming to the belief that when MLB get on a hot streak and they credit it to "seeing the ball well right now" it may mean exactly that. :)

May 12, 2008
Once again, a good question and interesting discussion has deteriorated into an argument over who is right and who is wrong about hitting. By page three it had nothing to do with strategies for hitting the rise anymore.

Not only have I closed the thread, I have deleted the majority of the posts on there. Let me make this clear again:

This is not the place to carry out your personal vendettas. This is not the place to try and show how much smarter you are than everyone else. There are plenty of places on the Internet where you can do that. Go there and have at it. Knock yourselves out. Say what you want about everyone who doesn't agree with you.

But don't do that here. We are not interested in that type of "discussion." It is not productive and is instead a waste of both time and server space.

You are welcome to state what you believe and why. DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT speak for anyone else. Do not personally attack anyone else as being stupid, ill-informed, completely out of it, full of crap, a mindless follower or anything else. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

And I've got news for all of you. NONE of you are "right." There is no right. There's only what you think. So state your opinions and keep the discussion positive. Remember, the purpose of this Forum is to help others by providing information that helps them help their players and/or their daughters. If what you're posting doesn't do that, take it somewhere else. And no, stating someone else is wrong doesn't qualify as helping.

Are we clear?

Thanks. A quicker trigger would be even better.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
TNSoftballDad and Calfogo, I'm sorry you feel reluctant to post. Please don't. We'd like to get more input from more people. Tell us what works or has worked for you. Tell us what you think. All opinions are welcome here, and until there's a definitive answer on the question of how to hit a softball -- and I mean one that everyone agrees is THE answer -- your guess is as good as anyone else's.

You don't need a lot of fancy pseudo-science or complicated terms. Just tell us what you do in whatever terms work for you. Heck, I can't follow the discussions sometimes -- or I guess I choose not to. Sometimes the simple solution is the best one.

Jun 24, 2008
Ken, it's not that I am reluctant to post so much as it is I am still trying to learn all I can and separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. I'm nowhere near being able to do that so I don't have much of use to contribute to any hitting conversation :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28