Hitting the Rise Ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Wellphyt has a point. Many of us teach top hand top of the shoulder. Those that teach higher have never played softball when you face a riseball pitcher. First move is dropping the hands.

Jul 14, 2008
Hey Coach! Sorry, I've been away battling the evil forces of "DECEPTAGON- Master of deception".......

GET TO THE VERY BACK OF THE BOX!...........

2 things can/will begin to happen.......

Initially, the pitches will be SO HIGH the hitters won't trigger......Then, as the pitcher begins to bring the ball down, it will DROP SOONER........Due to less upward interia, and less efficient rotation.....A VERY GOOD rise is hard to beat as a hitter.....But a high fastball is not.......

Same thing with a drop ball pitcher......If you move up, she'll just aim lower........BUT........If you move back she'll have to aim higher!

2 things can/will begin to happen........

Initially, balls will be so low hitters won't trigger......Also, with the catcher pushed back almost 4 feet, drops will hit the dirt and eat up the catcher......And even though the umpire should call the zone in relation to the plate, they don't/can't.........Anything that doesn't cross the knees will be a ball.....regardless of where the plate is.......

The catcher will ONLY STAND for ball in the dirt for SO LONG.......She'll either move off that pitch, or INSIST the pitcher bring the ball up so she hand handle it......

When that happens, the pitch is released further out in front, on the upswing.......Spin is lessened and movment is compromised......

Good luck with Mrs. Rise!

This young lady has a rise ball, change, and a fastball that moves some. She doesn't throw a screwball or a curve with any consistency.

I seem to recall Boardmember addressing this issue in another post. If he still frequent this board, I'd like to hear his advice. Thanks to everyone that has responded. I do understand that one can't teach a team something like this in two days but most, like my dd are already playing their 40th or 50th game this year and so, should be able to process some sense of adjust-ability.

Mar 19, 2009
I haven't seen BM here much lately, he's been too busy battling it out with JoeBad/Richard/"Teacher"man over on BeeMax's new board in a classic thread that's sure to go down in history as one of the longest arguments ever :)

IMHO, he's handing JoeBad's drawers to him, but the majority of that crowd over there is HI guys, so Captain Cool-aid has had lots of support.

How about a link?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
BoardMember, thanks for the response. We have to leave very early in the morning to get to this complex and so, I'm hoping that the girls can do anything constructive at 8 in the morning when we start play. :D This tournament is a qualifier for the ASA National Tournament and so, we drive only to play a team from our league. GO FIGURE!

May 12, 2008
When that happens, the pitch is released further out in front, on the upswing.......Spin is lessened and movment is compromised......

Exactly why I have a problem with the "get forward up over your foot on the drop" advise I commonly hear. Bad geometry for the human body.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Here's the link when you have a few days, well over a thousand posts now, see #1177 for BM's.

Baseball Debate - Some Camps Aren't Afraid To Show Their Work....

Unlike Mark and Sarge who claim that the Nyman/Englishbey swing is in the MLB pattern, BM understands this is not the case. The softball swing BM likes is different from MLB as he admits, and VERY different from what Englishbey describes.

Here is the sarge/englishbey claim of teaching the "MLB elite swing":

Sorcerer Softball Academy - Scott Sarginson

and

Sorcerer Softball Academy - Steve Englishbey

"not your grandfather's swing" is right.

The Englishbey swing is no top hand and rotate around front leg.

The BM swing is late top hand and rotate around front leg.

The MLB swing is early top hand/backside driven which produces earlier batspeed and later adjustability necessary for superior MLB/woodbat production.

Feel free to join in the discussion, the moderator is not biased and it's "free"

You know....my DD goes to a guy that is a good friend of Englishbey, and is a self proclaimed "PCR" guy, and has a little experience batting himself, (although, with travel season in now, we haven't been down to see him for a while, sadly) and the things he has worked with her so far are her posture, the role of her back arm, and driving with her back side and getting her back hip and back shoulder through to a good follow through. A couple other things like staying connected with her hands, keeping good posture througout the swing (cable drills), etc.

The only time I remember him mentioning the front leg is as a "block" to stop forward momentum and start rotation, and to straighted out the front leg in order to allow the back hip to finish right.

Just curious Tom....what do you and Captain CoolAid say that the swing rotates around?

Oh, and while I agree that B hasn't banned anyone (although, he has done an edit or 2, I believe), I don't think that you can say that he isn't a little "biased" towards what he himself thinks, just like any moderator that is also a human would be :)

Jun 13, 2009
cannonball

Forget the debate for a second about who's got the correct swing, Englishbey or Joebad... neither of them has stood in a box to face a riseball so they cannot tell you with any degree of intelligence what it's like or how to do it. Be cautious with the advise either gives on something they cannot do themselves.

Jul 14, 2008
cannonball

Forget the debate for a second about who's got the correct swing, Englishbey or Joebad... neither of them has stood in a box to face a riseball so they cannot tell you with any degree of intelligence what it's like or how to do it. Be cautious with the advise either gives on something they cannot do themselves.

Not true......JoeBad has........The green dot marks the location of the ball when it enters the frame.........

How do you think he did?........:eek:

abpa1w.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee