Hitting the Change Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
Sydney Australia
If it’s a timing thing, maybe try changing the way they approach the “hit”. If their only mental/verbal cue is hit then it might help to add an AND into it. The AND is the toe touch, this allows time for a correction. It might sound overly simplified but I have seen it help.

Apr 28, 2019
We'd be tipping our cap a lot pattar, they are throwing their change up as strikes and hitting their spot too low in the zone. But I know what you mean, I ask my DD to selective on the first strike as well
You have to always be sitting on hard stuff. Whether it’s fastball, rise, drop, curve, what have you. If you sit change-up you’ll be way late on any hard stuff.
Load, hold & explode!!!
Big issue is can opposing pitcher throw Chang-up for a strike or is she just showing a change to keep you honest.
A change really shouldn’t be thrown for a strike. It should be low and out of the strike zone ideally. It’s a chase pitch when pitcher is ahead in the count. If a hitter is over anxious or inexperienced a change can make them look foolish. You gotta recognize the pitch and let it come to you. Patience, patience, patience. It takes a lot of practice but you need to mix in change-ups during BP to get hitters acclimated to the pitch.

Sep 5, 2012
I used to play men's fast pitch. There are several things you can do that will assist you in being able to hit a changeup or any other pitch.
  1. Study your opponent. Pre-game & in-game. Don't wait until it's your turn at bat or until you're on deck. Study the pitcher while you're in the dugout throughout the entire game. Look for patterns in their pitching. Look for mechanical cues. Look for anything that could make you more successful when facing them.
  2. Learn proper rotational mechanics. Done properly, it will allow you to unlock your hips & maintain good balance while keeping your hands back. This will allow you to hit the fastball but still have room to adjust when it's a changeup or something else.
  3. Learn to hit to the opposite field. Being able to take the fastball to the opposite field will leave you less likely to be fooled by a changeup.
  4. Stay within yourself & don't be overly agressive.

Sep 17, 2009
So last night head coach worked on change ups with the team. He actually told the batters that the change up was coming. I know this seems a little pointless, but he wanted the hitters just to see so many change ups as possible, see it out the pitchers hand etc. My DD still couldn't hit the change up, still way out in front... go figure. I mean if you know the change up is coming, it's no different than hitting a really slow pitcher. Not sure what to do anymore. I thank everybody for their drills, but if my DD can't hit a change up when she knows it being pitched, what chance does she have in a game when you are not sure if it's coming??? At this point I am thinking if you see a change up don't even bother swinging, unless 2 strikes against you.

I don't think she has the patience or discipline to sit back when she knows its coming. To make matters worse, we have a tournament this weekend, and the first game today is against a tough team with a pitcher that has a killer change up
The strategy your DD used this weekend makes sense at the moment. Longer term, I always tell girls not to be afraid to look bad by working HARDEST at the things you are NOT good at.

I recently ran across this post from a coach, I thought it was incredible -- it's about HER evolution as an instructor but applies to the girls she works with too. Practice is for struggling so you don't struggle in games:

https://www.foldenfastpitchonline.com/post/my-failure-in-development-how-i-finally-started-coaching

Jun 8, 2016
The strategy your DD used this weekend makes sense at the moment. Longer term, I always tell girls not to be afraid to look bad by working HARDEST at the things you are NOT good at.

I recently ran across this post from a coach, I thought it was incredible -- it's about HER evolution as an instructor but applies to the girls she works with too. Practice is for struggling so you don't struggle in games:

https://www.foldenfastpitchonline.com/post/my-failure-in-development-how-i-finally-started-coaching
At some point you will have to learn how to hit a changeup, this is certainly true. However in terms of approach even in MLB hitters look for their pitch with no strikes and typically this means sitting fastball in a certain zone.

Sep 17, 2009
At some point you will have to learn how to hit a changeup, this is certainly true. However in terms of approach even in MLB hitters look for their pitch with no strikes and typically this means sitting fastball in a certain zone.

Of course. That's hitting.

Jun 8, 2016
Of course. That's hitting.
Right, so her approach last weekend would probably work even as she moves up as long as she develops mechanics which allow her to drive a changeup when she has to. That was what I was getting at...

Sep 17, 2009
Right, so her approach last weekend would probably work even as she moves up as long as she develops mechanics which allow her to drive a changeup when she has to. That was what I was getting at...

Splitting hairs I guess. Julray said her approach was:

DD simply watched a lot of change ups this weekend... and hit the fastball. This was the only logical solution in such a short period of time.

I think simply watching changeups leaves opportunity on the table, especially AS she moves up. I like what Maverick described as an improvement over her current approach.

But I think we basically agree :)

Sep 17, 2009
I see a whole lot of ML'ers who struggle with a good change up.
Yes sir. Good pitchers win a lot of those battles for sure. Good hitters also deposit less-than-perfect change-ups in the stands. It's worth working toward that opportunity.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478