Hitting the Change Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
When that front foot lands or the heel hits and the hitter has to make that choice of "go" or "no," that is the moment of the check swing. We practice that. In doing so, we are also training for the change. If you can maintain or resist the loss of coil and the front heel hits, we tell our hitters that if they have a good read on that pitch, hit the pitcher with the ball. The thing about the change when recognized is that hitters want to kill it. If you try to kill that pitch, you will most likely swing and miss or top the ball. By riding that position I described, what some back in the day called the sit position, you can let that ball travel more and hit that line drive up the middle.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Don't know if it was the actual intention, but it appeared Oklahoma last year had those big guns trying to take the change up to the 3-4 hole with the twisting line drive.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Change ups will identify many swing flaws. Number one being upper body resistance to the lower half rotation. AKA Slack. Slack equals early commital due to lack of adjustability. Slack means firing the upper body ahead of the lower body. Upper body resistance is crucial in developing a good swing. I always look for the back knee to advance before the hands/shoulders. Sequence lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12