Hitting tech

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Cool..but that isn't AI. AI (or a form of AI at least) would be to do what they did but then have the machine pitch a simulated game (for whoever is throwing), without human input, using the data they collected (both the pitching and hitting data).

Last edited:
May 11, 2014
Are you saying "artificial intelligence" doesn't exist because no machine ever existed without human input. Guess my way of thinking is the pitching machine would be "artificially intelligent".

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Are you saying "artificial intelligence" doesn't exist because no machine ever existed without human input.
There are different types of AI. The one everyone is scared of (self-aware machines) only exists theoretically at the moment (or at least that is what is said publically...). What I described is possible as all you need is machines to learn from input data using machine learning algorithms to be able to make predictions..this happens all the time (including what sorts of ads, content, etc pop-up on your social media accounts..). This is also a form of AI.

What they were doing was just taking the data and programming the machine to replicate the data..there was no "learning" going on...at least in what they presented in the video. Don't get me wrong, what they did was cool and certainly useful. Only qualm I have is labeling the video AI..

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If it works like I think it might, that could be crazy. Not sure how they time up release but if they get it perfect this would almost be cheating.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812