Hitting Really Fast Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
A really good BP pitcher can throw hittable pitches with all different spins on the ball so the hitters get used to seeing it and grow in their ability to recognize it out of the hand. I don't think the pitcher should be trying to K everyone when the team needs to get swings in, but pumping 60mph out of a machine straight down the middle hardly prepares them either.

I am sure you are aware pitching machines can be set-up to throw most any pitch/speed/location you want... They don't have to be "straight down the middle". Although, straight down the middle is probably what the OP's team needs, initially, to get the timing on faster pitching.

And, now you can get a machine that can throw any pitch/speed/location randomly, or you can preprogram a sequence.. the "New" I hack. Cool stuff.

Advanced Software Program
  • Using touch screen, quickly go between eight different pre-set pitches as well as pre-set defensive drills.
  • All pitches can be modified as desired by making finite adjustments to each motor individually.
  • Can change speeds on any pitch including fastballs, risers, drops. These pitches can be set to established sequence or thrown in random mode.
  • Rely on pre-set pitches or go immediately to manual mode where you select any pitch, speed and location, which can repeat or change as desired.
  • Defaults are pre-established for every pitch to accommodate skill levels (youth and pro), all can be quickly modified.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I am sure you are aware pitching machines can be set-up to throw most any pitch/speed/location you want... They don't have to be "straight down the middle". Although, straight down the middle is probably what the OP's team needs, initially, to get the timing on faster pitching.

And, now you can get a machine that can throw any pitch/speed/location randomly, or you can preprogram a sequence.. the "New" I hack. Cool stuff.

Advanced Software Program
  • Using touch screen, quickly go between eight different pre-set pitches as well as pre-set defensive drills.
  • All pitches can be modified as desired by making finite adjustments to each motor individually.
  • Can change speeds on any pitch including fastballs, risers, drops. These pitches can be set to established sequence or thrown in random mode.
  • Rely on pre-set pitches or go immediately to manual mode where you select any pitch, speed and location, which can repeat or change as desired.
  • Defaults are pre-established for every pitch to accommodate skill levels (youth and pro), all can be quickly modified.
DW said, sure, Honey, why not buy two? :)

Jan 28, 2017
Sorry, but I had to giggle a little - would kids these days even know what a phone booth is?? 🤔

I call it a cardboard box and show them the rectangle with my hands. LOL. I occasionally say a phone booth and they look at me like I"M crazy. Then hold up my cell phone and tell them to stay inside of it.

Oct 4, 2014
Teach them about timing. When facing faster pitchers changing your swing to match speed will hurt mechanics. Turn up the machine and put on some grooving tunes. Teach them to load and swing with the beat. Faster beat faster timing slower beat slower timing.. If you face a pitcher that is a glove slapper, use the slap to your advantage......timing mechanism. As far as live pitching, look for a pitching coach or a pitcher who is a little older that can throw consistently and offer them a few bucks to throw some good BP. Also I think hillhouse said it earlier...play up. Push them

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The problem w training for faster pitching w extra Velo is the swing(s) being trained usually aren’t adequate mechanically so a lot of failure ensues. I do believe it’s a great way to find compensations that aren’t obvious.

I Use a heavier bat and throw very close to shorten a kids swing and get better reaction time. The extra weight usually stops the player from compensating w the wrong muscles(hands and arms).

Oct 2, 2017
Kind of what Cannonball said but said a different way: load slower and earlier.

Command drill is a tee drill with a stationary ball that I believe helps in addition to moving ball drills.

Among other issues that my DD may have, I really think me preaching to her for a long while now, slow and early has kind of been taken to literally. Meaning she is literally early but way to slow LOL. We may say pros start are slow and early, but they really aren't that slow. I would say more early and controlled, buts not slow.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802