Hitting Really Fast Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
Yes, you can throw faster balls in the batting cage to help prepare for this one pitcher, but I'd not spend a whole lot of time worrying about an outlier. Train for what you're most likely to face. Within speeds of 60mph, I see more problems with batters not being able to adjust to slower pitching than vice-versa.

Was this really fast pitcher actually throwing consistent strikes, or were your batters chasing?
We were facing a 40 mph pitcher the game before.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Here in the Philippines 60mph was the top end among pitchers. Only 2, one 16 and one a college graduate. The next fastest pitcher threw 58. We had to be prepared for 70mph, though we did not think we would face Japan's Ueno, and we didn't. We faced men's pitchers as much as possible. But I also changed their mechanics:

I call it "Choice vs Timing the Pitcher"
If you think about it, the choice is made at about 50% of the distance to the plate. What happens when the pitch speed goes up. The brain works at the same speed! That means the ball is going to be in the catcher's mitt. So by timing the pitcher rather than on the "choice" to swing, you are eliminating some of that brain freeze.

I had every batter learn to adjust their timing to each pitcher by coming to "hip-connection (slot)" at the hip on every pitch with proper bat "LAG". They were ready to release once they made their observation which has already be made before the elbow gets to hip-connection. The batter is then ready to fire.

* I had our female pitchers stand closer to home-plate. The batter's performed the partial rotation on each pitch. They were facing right-field at connection with is the normal orientation; back knee, belly button facing toward the 2baseman. They did this 10 times through each rotation.
* Second phase, they performed the connection, but I also had the batters call "ball" or "strike" on each pitch and kept score. I had some batters at speed getting scores of 3 or 4 out of 10. By the time we were done all the Filipinas were scoring 8-10 out of 10 on every cycle.

When we got to Oklahoma City, Surrey B.C, and Japan for qualifiers we were pretty ready for speed. We were overwhelmed by Dallas Escobedo of Mexico, Stacey King of Florida State pitching for Puerto Rico, Kelly Barnhill, and the no.2 pitcher for Japan. The rest we hit well and beat #4 Australia 2 of 3, #3 Canada 3 of 3, etc.

Photos of Connection and Bat-Lag.
Hey Quasi, is that your real picture in your post profile?

Jun 8, 2016
Baseball, but a kid I played Legion with would touch 80 in LL which I think is like 46 feet. People would cheer when somebody fouled one off :LOL: . He threw 92-94 in Legion.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
It is, but 16 years ago.
Thanks Quasi! Haven't you been around here for quite some time? I am pretty sure I read many of your earlier posts from years ago but you were under a different name I think. What was your old handle on here?

S3

Jun 22, 2019
Get outta here with that..blasphemy!! 😛

And to be honest she wasn’t average at 16-17, she was above average. We see most pitchers in 16/18 tournaments that throw 52-56, a few that throw 56-58, only a handful that consistently throw 58+ and very rarely see anyone throwing over 60.

I guess I just expected her to be a flame thrower like she was in 12U...which was truly unbelievable. Most of the kids we faced in 12U were in the mid to high 40s. My girls played 4 yrs of 12U and we never saw anyone even close to this girl.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Thanks Quasi! Haven't you been around here for quite some time? I am pretty sure I read many of your earlier posts from years ago but you were under a different name I think. What was your old handle on here?
S3

I was here some years ago, but the name is the same. I did not re-enroll. Should I go away again? I am not intentionally so, but I am a burr under some peoples saddle.

OK Strike3, here is a more honest photo that I entered in the "Brad Pitt" look alike contest this year. I didn't win!
I am 69 here, almost 70. I doubt you recognize me from other than the ASA hat photo.

Attachments

• 120778251_1070385240060107_5311844294129086419_n.jpg
    120778251_1070385240060107_5311844294129086419_n.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
This girl is definitely an outlier and she can throw consistent strikes. There are a few others that can throw around 55 but even they are rare. Most 12U pitchers....even at the A level are right around 50 or even a little below. I personally would not bet against this kid not succeeding at higher levels. To be honest she is probably faster than many College pitchers right now and she has got lots of time to develop.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I was here some years ago, but the name is the same. I did not re-enroll. Should I go away again? I am not intentionally so, but I am a burr under some peoples saddle.

OK Strike3, here is a more honest photo that I entered in the "Brad Pitt" look alike contest this year. I didn't win!
I am 69 here, almost 70. I doubt you recognize me from other than the ASA hat photo.
All good Quasi and I thought you were here back in the day. Good to have you back chiming in. I asked about the name/handle change because it shows you joined on November 30, 2018 next to your profile picture. It was a bit confusing to me because I had remembered the picture of you way way back before 2018 so I didn't know if it under a new name, different person, etc. etc.

Thanks for clearing it up and welcome back after being gone for so long :)(y)

S3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23