Hitting(read now)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2008
Hey,
I've been playing softball since i was little.the last year or so i started to pull my head when i swing the bat. I do it every game and it makes me really mad so i'm trying to find some drills or tips or anything that could help me in any way!!! I'm 14 and I've done this the last year or so. And i also play on a select travel team....I would APPRECIATE any suggestions:mad::)

R

RayR

You can try to hit everything opposite field or try to put your shirt in your mouth as you swing to remind you to keep your head on the ball.

May 8, 2008
South Florida
Hi Kristen

My DD has gone through this and she put her shirt in her mouth and it worked for her, it is a great way to correct the head movement even though you may feel silly doing it IT WORKS!!!! Best of Luck !!!:D

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
As a hitting coach we do not teach putting your shirt in you mouth. You cannot get a good two eye look at the pitcher and depending on your dominate eye, it may be impossible to turn your head correctly. We teach two methods. One practice off a t with a white cloth stuck in the T and make sure you always see the white cloth at contact. The other is putting a softball on the ground on the outside corner of the plate. When you make contact make sure you are looking at the ball. Take a helmet tape a penciil in the middle of the helmet off the bill. Now have a plastic golf ball hanging off the end of the pencil. Now slip this on the batter when they say they are ready to hit. You will now see if the batter is looking at the pitcher or second base with the shirt in the mouth. I think this test will explain why we don't teach this.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
What people often call "pulling your head off the ball" is really pulling your front shoulder out too soon. Rather than pulling the front shoulder out when you turn, the back shoulder should "knock" the front shoulder out of the way.

The studies I've read say that most hitters are unable to track the ball once it gets within 10 feet of the plate (or something like that), so it wouldn't matter if your head pulled out -- you wouldn't be seeing anything anyway. But the head follows the shoulders, so it's more of an indication of a problem than the problem itself.

Work on keeping the front shoulder in and driving the back shoulder forward and you'll most likely find that the real problem -- not hitting the ball -- goes away. That's been my experience anyway.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Here is a test to prove how much stronger you are with you head down at contact.
have her stand in front of you with her arms out hands together. Now have her look up at you and not allow you to push her hands down. Next same thing , but have her look down. She will get the point very quickly. It is better to demonstrate to kids what you are trying to get across and when they can see or feel something it makes an impact..

Aug 8, 2008
Ken,
Just to clarify a point: Did you mean that you can't react to anything you see about the pitch inside of 10 feet? You can track the ball all the way to the catcher if you desire. You just can't make any adjustments to the swing once the ball gets inside of ten feet or so because the brain can't process the information in time.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
From what I've read, most people cannot actually see the ball when it gets 10 feet or so to them. You might be able to train for it, but it's unusual. The idea of seeing the ball hit the bat, for example, is a myth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802