Hitting Questions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Here is why we don't agree on the MLB swing and Epstein. Here is why women must bend different than a man and why we teach this posture with the girls we work with.
The anatomical differences start with balance and their spine is more level than the male and the male is tilted forward slightly. The correct sequence is bend at the waist first and then soften the knees next, gently push on their chest and back and they will feel what balance is. To test for it then have them soften the knees first and bend at the waist next and you will push them off balance. It is termed sequential core loading.

The female hip is wider which causes a sharper angle termed the Q angle. Hold a bat against their hip with the knob of the bat at their knee and look at that angle verses a male.

There is an imbalance of the quad to the hamstring in most females verses male. Source Children s Hospital Atlanta Georgia. They must work on correcting the difference. In males it is more balanced. They have reduced female ACL injuries by getting them to land correctly on a flexed or bent knee upon landing 35 to 40 percent.

When a male jumps in the air the muscles in the butt area automatically fire and flex the knees upon landing and they land on the ball of the foot and it is a taught skill for the female. This is why when they throw they usually land with a stiff front leg and do not release from the back side. Ask if their arm hurts and they will point to the shoulder and just above the elbow. When hitting they usually land with a stiff front leg and do not get the heel planted and the front side opens and they have little power to the opposite field.

R

RayR

MTS-

Happy holdays to you.

I agree with your assessment of how the nonmlb patern works. That can be fine for you but it is not what you are seeing in clips of MLB hitters.

Rather than bend over and stick the butt out and staying down "in posture", MLB hitters tend to be more upright and sit more or less as part of axis/up/down adjustment. The posture adjustment is more or less of a sitting action which is a very distinctly different action/feel from bend at waist.

The arms and at are controlling setting up a matching plane, the plane is not being set by bend at waist. The axis being set is best thought of as leaning more or less toward pitcher as Epstein describes it.

Young ones are quite able to emulate the MLB swing and able to throw in a high level pattern. I recommend shooting for that as the way to achieve the goal.

You are certainly welcome to teach bending over and maintaining posture.

Ultimately I find teaching is about getting close enough to be captured by an inherent pattern and I would prefer to shoot for the MLB pattern since it is closely related to a high level overhand throw and learning this high level throw and the mlb swing leverage one another.

If a dad/mom/coach does not feel qualified to teach the MLB throw or swing, you might consider finding a coach familiar with these motions.

Not sure why you would assume that when I say athletic position or posture you think I mean just tilting at the waist.

There is an very successful instructor in my area that teaches a front elbow to ball type swing. Her students hit well and this style is catching on fast. Do I agree with it? Not really, but I cannot argue with its success. In fact, I am trying to find some common ground as some of my players get instruction through her academy. I do recognize that it is really about not dropping the hands or letting the barrel drag. These are things that are prevalent in fastpitch. Maybe because girls swing a heavier bat then boys according to their strength that bat drag is such an issue - IDK, maybe a topic for another day.

Anyway, it is very unlike the MLB pattern you are an expert in, but again her students ENJOY success and help their teams win games. Maybe this is something you should think about instead soley focusing on what the your perceived MLB pattern is.

Mostly, the reason for the above rant is that there are different ways to swing a bat successfully for the HS level on down. I have even seen these kids swing well in college, but alas it depends on what level and what area of the country of college ball.

Cheers.

R

RayR

Good post MTS. Notice how the swings all look the same. They may start in different postions but they are basically the same. Have watched many of these swings on RVP and since I work with Bustos's coach, we tend to base our teaching off of her swing.

Thanks SB.

I would like to hear more about your work with Bustos's coach even if it may not be the much heralded MLB pattern, lol.

Thanks

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
content would once again be appreciated.

My understanding is that MarkH has used Epstein and found it limited.

Perhaps that experience might provide actual content to be discussed here.

That would really fit nicely with the theme of Marc's board

"discuss fastpitch"

Thanks Marc and Happy Holidays to you too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802