hitting question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2008
I'm a firm believer in the fact that "CONFIDENCE" is the #1 attribute when it comes to hitting. I've been in Ken's seat before watching girls that you would swear would be produce weak groundouts/popouts at best and yet they consistently destroy the ball because they believe they will destroy the ball. Fortunately for those players nobody has told them that they shouldn't be able to hit the ball, or they haven't believed those things when they are said.

There is a huge fear in most of us of "failing." Striking out is failing in most peoples eyes so most girls approach at bats like a goalie just trying to keep the ball out of the catchers glove. So if they swing with that "attitude" in their head no mechanics will help them in their "defensive" mode. Once we get over the fear of failing, and actually "attack" the ball offensively we give ourselves a much better chance of succeeding.

I believe, even though I am an instructor, that the greatest benefit of mechanics is that it helps breed the necessary confidence. The more they believe in the instructor and understand why the are doing each thing they are taught, the more they will believe in themselves and trust that they "should" be able to hit the ball.

Just my 1 1/2 cents (adjusted for recession)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom