Hitting programs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I started my search for the Holy Grail when my kids were 10 years old , now I’m working with their (my grandkids) 10 yr olds. Yes, that long. For the last 6 years I’ve been studying and learning the HLP. Now that I’ve made almost ever mistake and taken every dead end possible, I feel I know it and do a fair job of teaching it. As a parent trying to teach you son or daughter, I probably wouldn’t recommend it. You will do lots of things wrong before you get it right, get frustrated and move on before you fully understand what the heck your doing. Your athlete will get worse before they get better and it’s going to be ugly.

Show your work ... You must swing a bat to discuss HLP with Richard
This is what got my attention, he was the only one (still is) that will put himself or any of his students as examples. A lot of the now internet experts we’re getting taught by Richard on hitting illustrated but found a way to market themselves and hitting methods we now buy.

Heres why I teach it.

1. In HS softball the fence is only 200ft. With HLP most can hit it over. I want my little girls to hit like big girls
2. The swing is preformed on the unconscious Level. Huge advantage timing and mastering the swing.
3. Simple principles (not easy) made sense. For example, the swing puts the front foot down.
4. Plate coverage, this swing is at its best hitting OPPO.
5. More and more college coaches are using similar hitting patterns.
I have more but this is enough to get the dumpster fire started. DM me if you want more or go to Haley’s post In the practical hitting section. Good luck.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I do not recommend Richard Schenck’s program. The price is right but preview his content for free by just googling his name. Put aside his my way or the highway personality, I don't believe his teaching is well suited for young girls especially. I would lean more towards Justin Stone or Hitting Vault guy.
Any poster who was on this board when it began knows that many found out the hard way.

Jun 8, 2016
k6wju2O.gif

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I don’t know how much most know about the HLP other than how terrible Twitter Dick is and he is terrible. I’m interested in what can the pattern do for my kids. Haley (my student) has reached a level of
unconscious competence with the swing. It’s taken 2 and a half years to get here. I don’t know who’s more stubborn or stupid me or her.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Any poster who was on this board when it began knows that many found out the hard way.

Richard was absolutely the worst at teaching his own stuff. He knew he had to get better. In 2016 when I took Chloe to him for a lesson he told me then he was trying to get better at teaching this pattern. Now, that he’s teaching young kids he’s improved greatly.... old dog new tricks..... maybe

Dec 5, 2017
I found Joey Meyers (Hitting Performance Lab) to be pretty helpful and while not a "program" per se, you can get his online course very cheap. He does a good job of explaining himself and seems like a genuine guy. Lots of youtube vids also.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
He does a good job of explaining some hitting issues, but I don't think any of his drills will fix them.
Example, the feet together drill wont carry over to a real stride/swing, and it may make things worse by feeling that you have to be over the back foot.
Maybe the pull back is OK, but he doesn't fix the main issue with that that 99% of kids do, which is bat head position and rear forearm position
And you should never break your back knee on purpose as an action, the body forces it.

He has a great voice though, and I can tell he means well.
Yeah, that's the one thing I disagree with. I am in the camp that says the rear foot gets peeled off the ground by the body.
Why don't we all just swing like JD Martinez.

Apr 8, 2019
I found Joey Meyers (Hitting Performance Lab) to be pretty helpful and while not a "program" per se, you can get his online course very cheap. He does a good job of explaining himself and seems like a genuine guy. Lots of youtube vids also.
This sent me down a 4 hour rabbit hole.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478