Hitting programs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Richard is Richard for sure. In the past he has rubbed me the wrong way. Since I started following him on Patreon he has been great. I don’t like Twitter and really don’t follow anyone.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I do not recommend Richard Schenck’s program. The price is right but preview his content for free by just googling his name. Put aside his my way or the highway personality, I don't believe his teaching is well suited for young girls especially. I would lean more towards Justin Stone or Hitting Vault guy.

From what I've seen, the Patreon sessions are a deeper dive into the material than most of what can be found elsewhere. That said, I also wouldn't call Richard's material a "program" in the sense of "start here and follow this progression of drills".

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
High priced programs only want one thing your money. They never deliver.

Richard is only $10.78 with tax. He isn’t after the money. The cost goes to Judge’s charity.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
From what I've seen, the Patreon sessions are a deeper dive into the material than most of what can be found elsewhere. That said, I also wouldn't call Richard's material a "program" in the sense of "start here and follow this progression of drills".

It’s simple, but takes time to learn. Every Patreon you learn something new or deepen your understanding.

There is a two part lesson on what to work on for beginners and how.

Two of his early lessons are great to watch. I didn’t know what he taught when I started, so I learned as I went while taking swings.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ok, I say if you start here and master just this one drill and listen to this other video on approach you would be well ahead of most hitting coaches and dads.

And first minute of this video (you can listen to the whole video too)

Jun 8, 2016
For a young kid I would find programs/drills which focus on getting to a good balanced position to hit from. Part of the feet together drill from Stone (posted above by @Rolling Hard ) is about that. Doug Latta talks about that as well. Without that everything else the body wants to do is a compensation for the lack of balance. Some kids have no issues with this, others do 😒

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
For a young kid I would find programs/drills which focus on getting to a good balanced position to hit from. Part of the feet together drill from Stone (posted above by @Rolling Hard ) is about that. Doug Latta talks about that as well. Without that everything else the body wants to do is a compensation for the lack of balance. Some kids have no issues with this, others do

Depending on the day the same kid may or may not have an issue.

Source: my DD

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Ok, I say if you start here and master just this one drill and listen to this other video on approach you would be well ahead of most hitting coaches and dads.

He does a good job of explaining some hitting issues, but I don't think any of his drills will fix them.
Example, the feet together drill wont carry over to a real stride/swing, and it may make things worse by feeling that you have to be over the back foot.
Maybe the pull back is OK, but he doesn't fix the main issue with that that 99% of kids do, which is bat head position and rear forearm position
And you should never break your back knee on purpose as an action, the body forces it.

He has a great voice though, and I can tell he means well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28