Hitting out front

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2020
Nice in theory, but it doesn't work that way in real life. Outside pitches can be raked anywhere on the field as can inside pitches. Ive heard that nonsense since I was 8. I still hear it in every cage session before tournaments that I help at.
Funny I saved this video from Saturday to show the players I work with. I have to fight "well I heard" with ever new player.

Watch the first 3 batters

No idea . Whats it supposed to be telling me? I know its attached to a Major League batter

Oh it works. Used as a guideline. There are exceptions to most rules/theories.

May 12, 2016
You were talking about a hockey slap shot. That has nothing to do with timing? I've never played a second of hockey, but at those speeds and dynamics timing and technique would be everything with the end result
Go back and read... timing is involved in every sport. But that’s not what I’m talking about here. I’m talking about the force the blade hits the ice, I’m talking about all variables being the same(including timing) except the weight, height and strength of each player. And if all variables were the same, the bigger stronger player would end up having the harder shot because the stick would be loaded more, it would flex more when the player leans into it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Have watched fastpitch hitters struggle at contact with
call it "sloppy barrell control"
Stemming from~
Weak hands
Weak arms
Weak form

Is this swing problem a result of the beginning, middle or at contact moment?
We have probly seen each and all three be the problem.

Where the bat & ball in the swing is being connected at impact matters greatly.
Sloppy muscle control to the hands (including hands)
can be detrimental.

There may be a sweet spot where letting go of the bat may still provide good performance...
(interesting to see that video!)
However,
There are parts of the swing where letting go will work against the batter.
Muscle strength staying engaged with the bat through the hands has a level of requirement that needs to be produced.

Letting go of the bat seems would ADD a HUGE timing factor.
Also a much smaller contact zone.
...and a lot of chasing the bat, to keep picking it up, trying to do some tee work :)

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
Go back and read... timing is involved in every sport. But that’s not what I’m talking about here. I’m talking about the force the blade hits the ice, I’m talking about all variables being the same(including timing) except the weight, height and strength of each player. And if all variables were the same, the bigger stronger player would end up having the harder shot because the stick would be loaded more, it would flex more when the player leans into it.
You can manipulate the speed of a slaphot with timing and technique you can not do that with a ball and bat collision. I was supporting your observations.......

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Testing a new app, so I can do everything on my phone.

You could say he’s out front on this one. lol 😛

giphy.gif

Cool, now I can do everything on my phone.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Just testing my new way of editing video and making gifs. It seems you can only upload gifs of certain size, in my case there was to many frames or the overall time of the gif. I think GIPHY put a time limit on gifs uploaded on the phone. Tried to work around the issue with no luck, so I took out all the time spent on the stance to shorten the time/frames.

giphy.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

I slowed the swing down and lost a few frames at the ends of the swing. Darn people messing with me. So I think it is a time restraint.

I just looked at the first clip I posted and then slowed down. Slowing it down took a bunch of frames off the gif. So, It definitely is a time constraint. I didn’t notice how many frames were taken off on the follow through. I wonder if this is new and the same thing will happen on my laptop? I’ll test it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
The hips tell the story. On the inside pitch he has full hip rotation, while on the outside pitch his hips are facing right where he hit the ball. His full extension is also to the right of the pitcher most likely, because his back is not turned as much on the follow through, staying with the back hip. Nice adjustment to the outside pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802