Hitting offspeed/ change ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
Drills or thoughts/ philosophy when facing a pitcher that throws 25-50% off speed or change ups, combined with a fastball at 55-58 mph...thanks

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I can only pass along what we’ve done with DD. Her hitting coach has worked on a smooth and even stride with soft toe touch. Allowing her to be balanced and ready. This lets her sit on a changeup if she identifies it as such.

Which brings me to the second part. Identifying tells and reading the pitch. When doing front toss I always mix in change ups randomly and try to be all over the zone. We usually do front toss at 15-20ft forcing DD to identify the pitch quickly. The few things she uses to read is grip (or how long a pitcher is in her glove), hand position at release, and ball rotation. DD isn’t always successful but more so than not. It’s really helped her know when she’s got to sit on a junk ball or not.

The other big thing is always watching the pitcher when not at bat. Pay attention to what she throws based on the different counts and outs. As a hitter....timing and learning a pitcher starts in the dugout.

May 4, 2021
I'll preface by saying most of my knowledge is from my baseball playing days. I was taught to keep my weight balanced on my feet until it was time to explode through the ball. This eliminates lunging at off speed pitches. A really good drill that we used to do for off speed was with a lightning stick training bat. The pitcher would have a glove full of plastic golf balls and badminton birdies. The birdies did a great job of simulating an off speed pitch, because they could be thrown with the same arm speed, but we're significantly slower.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
When ahead in the count look for heat. When behind look for junk. Thats the basics.

I would say that it is hitter specific. If you are behind in the count and have shown the pitcher you are late on her fast stuff she would not be wise to throw you off-speed that would effectively speed up your bat.

To a good hitter then yes I think your philosophy rings true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I would say that it is hitter specific. If you are behind in the count and have shown the pitcher you are late on her fast stuff she would not be wise to throw you off-speed that would effectively speed up your bat.

To a good hitter then yes I think your philosophy rings true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok.. I think what you’re saying is hitter specific. what I said is a general approach to a pitcher w a good change up and decent heat. You added a batter who was late etc etc..

if your hitters are late. I wouldn’t worry about the change up. I would worry about timing and swing mechanics.

you asked for a team philosophy or an approach to combat a good change of speeds pitcher, correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802