Hitting off a tee progressions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
This guy has a number of videos using a tee.

- Why is it important to use a batting tee at any level

Apr 9, 2020
we do a progression from high to low , inside to out to try and simulate diff pitch locations. one time her hitting coach gave her a good point to keep moving the tee around especially at camps so that the coaches see you not just working one location she reinforces that you should try and start by looking at the pitcher and tracking the ball into the tee, not just starting at the tee from start of swing. there is no right way or wrong way but we try and do different things each time with some staples especially during quarantine where fields are closed.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
we do a progression from high to low , inside to out to try and simulate diff pitch locations. one time her hitting coach gave her a good point to keep moving the tee around especially at camps so that the coaches see you not just working one location she reinforces that you should try and start by looking at the pitcher and tracking the ball into the tee, not just starting at the tee from start of swing. there is no right way or wrong way but we try and do different things each time with some staples especially during quarantine where fields are closed.
This a little off subject, but check out how she is set up to hit different pitches doing soft toss.

- Softball Hitting Drills & Must Know Batting Tips

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Louisville Slugger Soft-Toss System - double as a batting tee

- Baseball Training Tools...Louisville Slugger Soft-Toss System

Mar 6, 2016
Variations I use:
Single tee:
  • Inside-outside
  • High-low
  • Front-back
  • Walk up (Happy Gilmore)
  • Two ft together and then stride

Two tee drills:
  • Two balls InLine..hit both (pull/oppo)
  • Inside- outside (ball on each tee..player begins start of "load" and coach calls out in or out and player hits only that ball) *can do similar drill with colored dots on balls..coach calls color to hit. (I like this last drill bcuz I can wait to call which ball to hit and it simulates the hitter having to wait on a changeup amd still keep hands back and loaded.)
Also..for each rep.. The hitter needs to start by looking forward as if looking at pitcher. Too many girls look down at ball the whole time. They should start looking forward and then track down to tee.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Variations I use:
Single tee:
  • Inside-outside
  • High-low
  • Front-back
  • Walk up (Happy Gilmore)
  • Two ft together and then stride

Two tee drills:
  • Two balls InLine..hit both (pull/oppo)
  • Inside- outside (ball on each tee..player begins start of "load" and coach calls out in or out and player hits only that ball) *can do similar drill with colored dots on balls..coach calls color to hit. (I like this last drill bcuz I can wait to call which ball to hit and it simulates the hitter having to wait on a changeup amd still keep hands back and loaded.)
Also..for each rep.. The hitter needs to start by looking forward as if looking at pitcher. Too many girls look down at ball the whole time. They should start looking forward and then track down to tee.
Do you do this in stations at practice?

Mar 6, 2016
Do you do this in stations at practice?

Usually we have about only 1 hour on our "cage day" 1 x week. And we usually have 2 tee/soft toss stations and 2 juggs or front toss stations (so 4 total possible areas to do drills).

So each week we try to vary the tee station drills. Those are just some I use during a season at various times.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
We do a lot of tee work ...... until the athlete’s body moves in sync with balance and rhythm. Oh ya, and hits the ball well.

Then we work on making the tee swing in to her front toss swing, ultimately her live at bat swing.

Part of our progress is how to time the moving ball. Timing either early or late can break down and destroy the best tee swings.

Hope this helps, good luck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee