Hitting Lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
Just want to throw this in - there will come a point where your DD, if she's like mine, will probably take instruction better from someone else rather than you.

I work with DD 2-3 times per week, but we still see her instructor weekly. DD has a great instructor and we work collaboratively on her swing - all 3 of us. There are times when I see something and just text it to her instructor and she mentions it at the next lesson.

DD has been with this instructor for 5+ years. She is part of our family now. It has saved many a heated discussion between DD and myself.

Now, I would not be a fan if her travel coach mandated we see someone else. That just wouldn't fly with us based on the relationship we have with her current instructor.

May 9, 2019
I know girls who can totally smash, and have taken no hitting lessons from a "professional."
And I know girls who have taken lessons from a professional and haven't done well. Like you said results are usually mixed.

It all comes down to what you do at home, not at the lessons.
You go to a lesson to learn, but you practice what you learn at home. Unless you are practicing the teachings you gained from a lesson, it's really pointless.

From what you said, it looks like your DD is doing fine with your instruction and no lessons so I'd just tell your coach that unless your DD is showing lack of progression, you should be allowed to skip the lessons.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
agree with what RD said above. we joined a much better TB organization and team. the HC's forte is hitting. what I found, after making sure to keep my mouth shut and eyes and ears open, was that our core hitting beliefs aligned very closely. the paths weren't the same but they led to the same destination. and once we both understrood that, talking about hitting became an easy thing.
hopefully your HC will listen to you and you to him and find common ground. if not, then your DD's hitting will have to speak for itself and, if he doesn't listen to that, it may come time to move on. I have read about telling DDs to nod and agree and then ignore. I'm just not a fan of that approach.

Sep 17, 2009
You need to participate if it's a team thing. I agree with most here that it's most likely going to be some basic instruction and a bunch of stations. Girls that can do well at those stations have a 'good swing' and those that don't will need to 'be fixed' :)

You have to know your daughter, especially since she's so young. Can she nod her head and listen as some have recommended and not get screwed up? Even better, can she talk to you afterward and share what she was told in the session and how it differs from what you are working on and why what she was told is 'wrong'? If both of those are true, then this could be a good thing -- I think talking about hitting is generally not a bad thing.

If she can do those things, great. If she can't, teach her to do them because this is going to be far from the last time a well-meaning coach (travel or high school) or instructor is going to tell her to do something that you might not agree with. It's a critical skill to learn how to deal with that fact. Might as well start her young!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Simple across the board feedback.

Look for results in what YOU choose to do. Not what someone else thinks you should pay to do.

Many different hitting perspectives.
Too many coaches that think there way is the only way.
Good coaches can offer tips and suggestions to what each athlete is doing. Without changing everything. If have own instructor coach should recognize that. Bring coaches feedback to instructor.

Practices can also have good or bad habit drills that may be taylored to what the coach wants. Unfortunetly may not be good for everybody.

Travel ball, atleast here in calif.,
Coach can change yearly.
Not wise to keep changing mechanics to fit coach.

Keep paying attention to results!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
You can always go for the team aspect but definitely let her know that if it is opposite of something she has been taught she doesn't have to change her swing....I would always be there watching but you don't have to be on the rail you can just stand back then after its over if your DD has a question you guys can talk it over with the hitting instructor. However if after a few times it just gets too contentious you can bow out just let coach know whats up and that your DD performance should speak for itself.

Like this!
It says PAY ATTENTION!

Feb 26, 2010
West Chicago Il
Question for the group:

My daughter plays 10u, B level. A few girls on her team took hitting lessons late summer at a local academy. Reputable place—I’m sure they do a nice job. Their results have been mixed during limited sampling of fall league games.

Coach is asking that all girls participate in the lessons over the winter. Coach is a good guy whom I respect a lot.

I’ve personally been working very hard with DD’s swing. Still multiple areas we are working to fix/improve and far from elite swing but she is hitting .650 during fall and leads the team in all offensive categories. Small sample size, but she has been making consistent progress that she and I are both happy with.

I’m hesitant to not take the lessons and give appearance of not being consistent with the team. But, I really don’t want new things being thrown into her head when she’s improving consistently.

As an aside, I played college baseball, have been around the game for 30 years and am consistently studying hitting methodology. I’m not a hitting coach and don’t know it all, but we work on her swing 3x a week with specific drills and I feel my training is serving her well.

Anyway, would it come across poorly for me to politely decline the invite?

PS—As her opinion matters too, DD has expressed that she prefers staying on current course.
It sounds like you’re doing a good job with your daughter & she prefers what you’re doing. If she’s hitting then don’t change anything. First of all finding a hitting instructor who has played major Fastpitch Softball & can teach it to all age levels mentally & mechanically is very hard to find. A lot of instructors do flips, lob underhand & sit on a bucket and let the girls launch homeruns that’s not going to help them when the pitching gets faster with movement & then dealing with the toughest pitch to hit the change up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802