Hitting lesson tips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I plan on giving my first hitting lessons and want to know of any advice. Not on swings or mechanics unless there is something you think I need here but just other stuff that might help me.
This gentleman works a lot with young players. Has a lot on YouTube that may help your adventure.

Mar 13, 2017
Completely agree. I spoke and showed her parent what she should work on as we were finishing up. Simple. One or two drills. I really only wanted this girl to work on stop jumping up before swing so said she needs to hit off of a tee focusing on her head staying level.
Patter mentioned giving the girls homework and I found the easiest way to do that is with PVC. Go to Home Depot and grab some 10’ 1/2” or 3/4” PVC pipes and cut them in half. I put a cap on one end and some electrical tape for a “grip”. Doesn’t require parents to have a tee net or any balls and they can get some solid work in.

my biggest goal at the younger ages is to instill consistent repeatable movements to get to their launch position. That’s seems like 90% of the battle for me. If they can’t get into a good athletic hitting position I don’t care how good their swing is there won’t be consistency.

example today the girl I was working with started dropping her elbow again so the homework I gave her is 3x for 5 minutes get in front of a mirror and do your stride drill with the PVC. Video below

If you need more drills check out his page, I’ll link a second video I like, but as always try to keep it simple and don’t get too bogged down in the weeds. Great stuff in this video, my favorite is around 5 and a half minutes in.

LexiSlater

IX Training with Lexi Slater
Mar 4, 2021
San Diego, CA
I plan on giving my first hitting lessons and want to know of any advice. Not on swings or mechanics unless there is something you think I need here but just other stuff that might help me.
Check out my new youtube video that demonstrates my favorite warm-up for hitting. I do this with every lesson before they even pick up a bat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood