Hitting lesson tips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2019
I plan on giving my first hitting lessons and want to know of any advice. Not on swings or mechanics unless there is something you think I need here but just other stuff that might help me.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Perhaps a little info for us...
What is your background?
What ages are you anticipating working with?

Suggestions~
Be Positive.
Offer a consistant schedule.

Enjoy!

Jun 19, 2019
I’ve been coaching several years and for the most part can teach a player to get a decent swing. I will be giving a 10 year old rec player lessons and most likely be players like her at first.

Mar 13, 2017
I plan on giving my first hitting lessons and want to know of any advice. Not on swings or mechanics unless there is something you think I need here but just other stuff that might help me.
For swing mechanics this forum is chief rabbit hole if you dive into it. For lessons overall just keep it simple too many times I see coaches (I’m definitely still guilty of it from time to time) dump way too much information on them at once and and overload their minds. When that happens swings become stiff and inconsistent and it turns into a wasted hour.

give them clear goals for the lesson and learn to simplify and demonstrate so they have visuals. Besides that I’ve found that if you can follow that the girls are quite receptive and eager to learn and get better!

Jun 19, 2019
For swing mechanics this forum is chief rabbit hole if you dive into it. For lessons overall just keep it simple too many times I see coaches (I’m definitely still guilty of it from time to time) dump way too much information on them at once and and overload their minds. When that happens swings become stiff and inconsistent and it turns into a wasted hour.

give them clear goals for the lesson and learn to simplify and demonstrate so they have visuals. Besides that I’ve found that if you can follow that the girls are quite receptive and eager to learn and get better!
So would you maybe having 1 or 2 things to work on each lesson is enough? I feel I taught my own DD to have better swings is bc we learn and work on one step at a time building it. If that’s true, are there any particular things that you would say should be work on before others? So would that be a good question in itself? What would be the first things taught in order if you were going by steps to a girl that never played before? This girl has some but just wondering.

Jun 19, 2019
So would you maybe having 1 or 2 things to work on each lesson is enough? I feel I taught my own DD to have better swings is bc we learn and work on one step at a time building it. If that’s true, are there any particular things that you would say should be work on before others? So would that be a good question in itself? What would be the first things taught in order if you were going by steps to a girl that never played before? This girl has some but just wondering.
After stance

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I always introduce the concept of 'muscle memory' and stress the need for a lot of repetition. I tell them that you can't just do something at a lesson or once or twice and expect it to stick, it takes a couple of hundred reps for the change to become permanent.

I usually go with dry swings that focus on something in particular, then a tee, then soft toss, then front toss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802