Hitting...it's as easy as 1,2,3,4,5

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I wrote these directions out a few minutes ago. The idea was instructions for a beginner to intermediate player with a short attention span that needed some simple step by step instructions and cues for hitting. Have fun as an exercise approving, dissecting or completely tossing them out. What would you change or replace them with if you had to give some basics in a similar short format?

Set up:
1) hands holding bat about armpit high and back about as far as the pit

When you are ready to swing:
2) rotate hips back and into the back hip joint (coiling)
3) Stride while keeping your hands back at the pit and holding your coil

Swing:
4) Use your hips, shoulders and hands to turn the bat barrel into the path of the ball as soon as possible. As they rotate to face the pitcher so should the barrel
5) Once your bat barrel is on the path of the pitch keep it on that path through contact with the ball.

May 12, 2008
Kids learn by mimicry whether it's language or athletics. Give them good models to mimic and help them see where they could improve whether that's swinging in front of a mirror or video. Demonstration works better than words for young ones ime.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Everyone has their methods. I guess I have grabbed some Tewks stuff (and possibly twisted it, not saying this is his process)... like for young hitters I simply prefer drills and hitting that promotes big athletic movements. Encourage experimentation.

Personally never a huge fan of 1-2-3 instruction. For one, there are always hitters that take it literally, and you can see them have a clunky step by step swing. Like you can almost see them thinking, #1 now I load, #2 now I stride.

Also, unweighting the front side happens before and is part of coil right? You don't coil to stride.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
100% coincidence just listened to Andy Haines talking about how hitters from Latin America aren't taught with 1-2-3 instruction and have such better dynamic movement.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
100% coincidence just listened to Andy Haines talking about how hitters from Latin America aren't taught with 1-2-3 instruction and have such better dynamic movement.

I spent a few months in Republica Dominicana. I saw baseball everywhere it was awesome. Watched a little league practice for the carib championship. The coach saw me watching and asked if I was a scout. I told him I just like baseball. He then asked me (for some unknown reason) to talk to his team. I babbled for a two minutes about working harder than the competition, love their teammates and to listen and work hard for their coaches and to play with pride because the entire world watches the DR looking for the next great player. The world knows they are good players.

One afternoon I grabbed a cab and headed for boca chica. The cab driver was a 26 yearold preacher, really good kid. Asked him if he played baseball. He said he had never played once. I figured everyone played but I was wrong. We arrived in boca chica it was a wednesday around 2pm and there were local kids playing baseball, looked 10u. They used broom sticks for bats, some dried up somewhat round golfball sized under developed coconuts for balls. The field was a giant sand box (front yard) filled with fluffy Caribbean sand. These kids were throwing the palm nuts as hard as they could trying to strike out the batter. The batter would swing and hit the barely visible ball and take off running in the sand. The game continued all day. It instantly clicked. Oh, this is how they hon their skills.

The taxi driver and I took a walk down the beach. I saw some kids playing another game of stickball this time with a pink rubberball. I asked if they wanted to play me and the taxi driver in a game. They said sure. Found out they were NYers on vacation. First at bat the taxi driver grabbed the bat like a righty and stood in the lefty batters box. I had him switch his hands. As the game went on more and more people started camping out and watching the game. Bottom of the last inning down by one with 2 down I reached with a 2b. The taxi driver gets up and freaking annialates the squishy ball over these palm trees that no one reached all game. It was a shot. I dont know how he did It. He easily rounded the bases for a GW homer. The crowd was cheering it was great.

On the last day I was there we were headed back to the air port from santiago. I wasnt feeling well, I had the flu or maybe It was the rum. Driving through the countryside I spotted three kids dressed in mismatched uni's and told the driver to STOP!! He stopped quickly because he thought I was gonna be sick lol. When I packed my bags I had brought 2 BBs and I always pack my glove. I got out and motioned to the kids to come over. Grabbed the balls out of the trunk and then the kids started running in my direction. I tossed them a ball, the fastest biggest kid got it and took off. I tossed the second ball and the two jumped up for it, one came down with it. The kid who didnt get a ball was not happy, really had a sad look on his face. I reached back in the trunk grabbed my glove and tossed it to him. He caught the glove and put it on his hand all in one motion. His smile was priceless.

The DR does have some serious youth baseball camps but the way they produce the most MLers is by playing a lot of ball anyway possible.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2