Hitting is Linear AND Rotational

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
I think momentum gets lost in an instant in most cases since the system is not closed. It takes a lot of skill to harness momentum biomechanicallyand it is for the most part rotational/addition/summation double (compound) pendulum action that is useful

May 12, 2008
SBFamily. Do you have any pictures you are able to post showing comparisons at different points to point of contact. If you legally can that would be great.

The two things I notice that makes me feel the idea of rotational after heel drop best describes good hitters - male and female I've seen are:

1) On clips I've looked at, after heel drop both the hip and shoulders stop all forward (linear) movement and rotate. From a side view the shoulders seem to rotate up and around the spine and the hips around.

2) The hands seem to follow the path of the bent lead elbow up and around the body whipping the barrel into the path of the ball. Rarely if ever do I see the hands pushing forward into the path of the ball. The extension of the arms straight if it occurs seems to happen well after contact.

I had the good fortune to see Crystal hit live this past weekend and shot some video. In slo-mo she seems a little more linear than a lot of others I have looked at but at the end of the day it looks like a linear weight shift to heel plant and then - BOOM! - quick explosive rotation into contact with extension usually well after contact.

I think I hear you saying that though the common historical definitions of "linear" hitting are still often taught, in reality good hitters do not hit that way. This of course does not speak to the new definition of linear into rotational promulgated by Don Slaught but rather the common historical definitions which were pretty much fantasy IMO. In short, I pretty much agree with your post assuming I interpret you correctly.

I prefer terms like efficient and quick. I do agree with Don's idea of using elite hitters as the bench mark for what is an elite effective way to swing. I think his stuff is pretty good. I think Englishbey's stuff is better. I suspect Yeager has some pretty good stuff judging by the intelligent things some of his adherents say.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
lhowser. Yes I was your dd's instructor. Mark H , I do agree you need to research many points of view. I also like Englisbey's and Yeager and many others. Plus it pays to work with Elite players and coaches in the game to learn what works... I'm not an Epstein fan and he kind of made a fool out of himself the last time he and Slaught went at it.
Lhowser, will tell you I'm a visual type of trainer. I like kids to feel and see what I'm showing them. Comes from being married to a fourth grade teacher for 30 years and working with many LD kids. So I don't think it is necessary to go into long winded details on hitting, like some do on here. I think you scare away those that are trying to learn and we forget who we are teaching. KIDS

May 12, 2008
lhowser. Yes I was your dd's instructor. Mark H , I do agree you need to research many points of view. I also like Englisbey's and Yeager and many others. Plus it pays to work with Elite players and coaches in the game to learn what works... I'm not an Epstein fan and he kind of made a fool out of himself the last time he and Slaught went at it.

Can't argue with you. I wasn't there for the debate at the NFCA winter meeting wasn't it? But I got a first hand report. If we ever get together to talk hitting remind me to tell you about the time Englishbey and Slaught discussed hitting in front of some gold and college coaches in Spring Klein one fall.

Oct 29, 2008
Can't argue with you. I wasn't there for the debate at the NFCA winter meeting wasn't it? But I got a first hand report. If we ever get together to talk hitting remind me to tell you about the time Englishbey and Slaught discussed hitting in front of some gold and college coaches in Spring Klein one fall.

Yeah, about as first-hand as it would be possible to get, I would think.

I take it you are using the word "discussed" euphemistically? LOL.

Re: "linear vs. rotational:"

These have ALWAYS been marketing terms (since Ted Williams and Charlie Lau strated to compete with each other as hitting "gurus.") "A linear start to a rotational finish" is just the latest iteration. NO ONE who considers himself a rotational hitter / instructor has EVER used the term to describe what happens prior to swing launch. Obviously, rotational hitters stride, and obviously, that is basically a linear movement (not entirely, because the elite hitter rotates his / her hips into foot plant). But basically a linear movement. But it has nothing to do with whether the swing would be classified as "rotational." And never has.

The term "rotational" has ALWAYS been used to describe the swing mechanics beginning AFTER foot plant. And the movements after foot plant on ALL elite hitters are basically rotating / circular. Certainly not a straight line (linear).

But as Mark has said, who cares? (perhaps that is the premise of this thread, actually).

It is completely legitimate - important - to emulate the movement PATTERNS of elite hitters. Whatever terms are used to describe those movement patterns. In my experience, arguments about hitting TERMS are less than important. While spending time trying to emulate the best is EXTREMEMLY important.

Like Mark, I give real credit to Slaught for what he has done to advance the state of hitting in the FP game. Candrea / Enquist stating that the FP swing and MLB swing are basically identical - in the INTRODUCTION to the RVP instructional materials? That was HUGE for our sport.

That said, the marketing hype around "linear start to a rotational finish" is less legitimate, and less helpful. Slaught HAS to know this is somewhat disingenuous when taken in the historical perspective of elite hitting and the historical definition of those terms. Certainly his right to market his product how he sees fit. But I think most are best served to ignore the terms "rotational" and "linear," and concentrate instead on doing what the best hitters in the world actually do. In this regard, the RVP software can be very helpful.

Best regards,

Scott

Oct 29, 2008
Lhowser, will tell you I'm a visual type of trainer. I like kids to feel and see what I'm showing them. Comes from being married to a fourth grade teacher for 30 years and working with many LD kids. So I don't think it is necessary to go into long winded details on hitting, like some do on here. I think you scare away those that are trying to learn and we forget who we are teaching. KIDS

Sure agree with the first part.

The second part puzzles me a little.

First, material presented on sites like this one relative to hitting instruction is NOT geared to a kid. It is geared to the dads / instructors who need to understand at a much deeper level to be effective instructing. Any one in that position needs to present / communicate the information in terms appropriate for the student. That is HARD, and doing it well requires a very good understanding indeed. At least in my experience. Every kid is a little different, and responds to different stimulai, and a different progression of learning. Fixing problems without creating unintended consequences is REALLY hard, and takes a huge amount of instructional experience.

Perhaps others have had a different experience instructing, but that is mine.

Second, no one expects a kid to learn to pitch without some pretty intricate mechanical instruction. Or play the piano, or anything else, for that matter. What makes hitting different?

Third, the advice proffered at sites like this is NOT geared merely to 10-12 YO kids (although that is a big part of the constituency). The demographics of this board - and others like it - includes hitters (and their instructors) who are as old as college-aged.

My $.02.

Again, I couldn't agree more that the more simple the instructor makes it seem to the kid, the better the result (in most cases). In my mind, that is different than the level of understanding required of the instructor.

Best regards,

Scott

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
lhowser. Yes I was your dd's instructor. Lhowser, will tell you I'm a visual type of trainer. I like kids to feel and see what I'm showing them. Comes from being married to a fourth grade teacher for 30 years and working with many LD kids.
Great to know that! I've read your posts and they encouraged me to go to the Bustos clinic in Ohio but I didn't realize SBFamily and the guy working with my kid was one and the same. SBFamily is a very good instructor. Lots of patience and good quality swings. Emphasis definately on quality first then quantity. Just wanted to say thanks. Now back to the thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee