Hitting in/out locations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I'm making an educated guess here, but moving in/out requires probably only a 1/2" variance in release point.

Just point at something across the room, the yard, or field. and move your finger a half inch and you'll see what I mean.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
MLB pitchers use sliders and cut fastballs for horizontal movement, and those are part of almost every pitcher's arsenal. The swing plane varies with the location of the pitch, it's flatter for higher pitches and tilted down more as the pitch gets lower. Giselle Juarez uses a curveball very effectively.

Feb 25, 2020
MLB pitchers use sliders and cut fastballs for horizontal movement, and those are part of almost every pitcher's arsenal. The swing plane varies with the location of the pitch, it's flatter for higher pitches and tilted down more as the pitch gets lower. Giselle Juarez uses a curveball very effectively.

I was just thinking about this and also bat angles. In my mind higher pitches would benefit more from vertical movement as the bat angle decreases(the bat is more horizontal). And I would think that lower pitches breaking into a batter would benefit more from horizontal movement. Breaking away would be breaking into the angle of the bat.

But then you gotta think what is better, a swing and a miss or an easy ground ball out... not an expert here by any means...

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The idea that the swing is horizontal or 'level' is wrong. A pitch that breaks in and down to a hitter is working against the cross section of the bat.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I agree that it's more effective to have DD "think" about moving the location in or out and hitting that spot as opposed to asking her to move the landing foot over or physically expecting her to move the belt buckle by a millimeter or two. Here's an oldie..."What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"! (W. Clement Stone)

Also, to a couple things Sluggers said above - use caution when advising your kid your kid to throw something different than what the coach called (I'm sure he would agree with the basis of that sentiment also). Now, many coaches might not recognize the subtle differences in mechanics and as long as she's effectively hitting her spots probably will just think they are awesome for calling that screwball or curve for the strike. I'm not saying to not work on a curve (or any horizontal movement pitch) but often it's just not worth the effort to have the discussion with a coach that "it's not really a screwball". Hit that spot consistently with an inside fastball and 9 out of 10 times you'll be golden and the Coach will be happy.

Secondly, there are certainly a lot of college pitchers throwing (and yes, the sound is off and it's not just based n what the two time Olympic medal winner says) only riseballs* and fastballs. I am also seeing a lot of drops and change ups in the mix. It's be interesting to know exactly the percentages of each type of pitch thrown? Baseball/softball being such a stat driven sport those numbers are probably out there and broken down by Division/Conference, etc..

*I put the asterisk next to riseball as we have often discussed here some are not "true" riseball spin or movement but rather just a fastball up in the zone.

Mar 28, 2014
MLB pitchers don't even throw the equivelent of a softball curve. (An MLB curve is actually a drop.)
What? Disagree on this. MLB pitchers do throw the equivalent of a softball curve ball. The slider. And they throw it a lot. Ottavino gets a ridiculous 18 inches of horizontal movement on his slider. Chaz Roe's slider looks like he's throwing a darn wiffle ball. 65% of his pitches thrown are sliders. deGrom, Kluber, Sale. Andrew Miller all are well known for the horizontal movement of their sliders.

Sep 19, 2018
The best sliders have Tilt. Ottavino throws side arm and can't get out a lefty. Kluber, Sale, and Andrew Miller have GREAT tilt. Not just side to side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood