Hitting in/out locations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
What interests me is whether Garcia throws her curve with a rollover action or palm up. Initially I thought rollover but I saw a good slo-mo from behind the plate and judging by the spin the only thing that made sense was palm up. As far as sliders, cut fastballs, 2 seam, 4 seam fastballs in baseball I have trouble matching the breaks with the spin. A slider has mostly bullet spin, they talk about seeing the dot as a tip off.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I never would have guessed that was the correct ruling. Maybe that is why there are rule books. NCAA rules...

12.17.2 Interference by Runners and Base Runners
12.17.2.1 The runner may not interfere with a fielder attempting to field a
batted ball. For example:
12.17.2.1.1 The runner may not contact a fair batted ball, while off base,
before it touches a fielder (including the pitcher) or before it passes a
fielder (other than the pitcher), who has a reasonable chance to make
a play.
EFFECT—(12.17.2.1 to 12.17.2.1.5.5)—The ball is dead. The batterrunner
is awarded first base unless she is the player guilty of interference.
If the official scorer judges the batted ball would have been a hit, the
batter is credited with a base hit, but if not, it is scored as a fielder’s
choice. The offending runner is out. Each base runner not forced by the
batter-runner must return to the last base legally touched at the time

Nov 8, 2018
I'll answer your question first: Your DD has to have control of her FB.

I've got nothing but love for you, please don't take this wrong.

My question is why is your DD wasting time with a screwball and a curveball when the $$$ is in dropballs and riseballs?

The horizontal movement pitches don't get the job done against good hitters. To get good hitters out, the pitcher has to force the batter to change her swing plane.

Hitting horizontal movement pitches does not require changing swing planes. So, they have very limited usefulness.

It is very unlikely your DD really throws a screw. They are rare as hens teeth. If Cat Osterman doesn't throw a screwball, it kind of hard to believe your DD throws one. We have whole threads discussing the non-existence of the screwball.

The curve is a so-so pitch, even when its working. MLB pitchers don't even throw the equivelent of a softball curve. (An MLB curve is actually a drop.)

Watch a college softball game, turn down the volume, and count the number of breaking pitches you see. It is rare to see any pitcher with more than a riseball and a FB.

My advice:
1) You need to have a heart-to-heat talk with your DD about the facts of life of softball.
2) When the coach calls a screwball, she just wants an inside FB. When she calls a curve, throw an outside FB.
3) Have your DD start learning either a drop or rise ASAP.

My dd is not allowed to throw a curve near the plate. It’s only used to fish or as a set up if at all. Rise drop and change are the shirt. We have incorporated rise curve and drop curve now too to give the batter a good look. But a great rise after a great drop is a strike out 95%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse