Hitting Clips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2008
And Vannessa
MVI_7851.gif

Aug 6, 2008
If you shoot your video with a high shutter speed, you can nearly eliminate the bat blur. I use a Sony Digital8 camcorder (a dying breed) that doesn't allow manual shutter speed setting, but it has a "sports" mode that does a pretty good job. It looks like your video was shot under lights, so getting a fairly fast shutter speed would be tough in that situation.

For a weekend project, download a free program called VirtualDub. Then read up on "deinterlacing". After you capture your video, it will most likely be 30 frames per second (actually 29.97). If you save your video capture as an AVI file, you can open it in VirtualDub and apply the deinterlacing filter. The resulting video will be MUCH sharper, will not have the "comb" lines (deinterlaced), and an added bonus is it will now be 60 frames per second.

If you have ever seen video captured with RightView Pro or Dartfish, this is generally what those programs do. I use a program called Animation Shop to convert the 60 frame per second AVI into a GIF file, but there are several free programs that will do the job.

You can then slow down your 60 fps video, freeze it at certain frames, add annotations, whatever. But it looks like you got your hands on a GIF program. Beware: Messing with video editing can cause hair loss and severe headaches! I've nearly pulled my hair out trying to get something to work, then beat my head on the wall because I was trying to reinvent the wheel! I do that A LOT!!! :eek:

R

RayR

And Vannessa
MVI_7851.gif

I like this swing and would like it even more with a couple of improvements

The sequencing is off a bit - meaning the upper body is turning before the heel is planted

Also, the front foot opens to turn the hips. If she can improve how she unloads her hips (loading the pelvis would be a step in the right direction) and get her heel down before she unloads her upper body (this will take some getting used to) she could develop a very nice swing.

She drops the barrel a bit and that could hurt her on lower pitches (turning it more into an arm swing)

But, overall I think the simplistic upper body unloading serves her well and can be improved upon.

Nice.

Jan 12, 2009
I will not comment about most of the things I see because of the angle of the vid.

But for outside pitches I look at one thing just at contact. Your daughters upper body is pointing at the pitcher. For outside pitches at the moment of contact I like the upper body facing more towards first base at contact. Anything down the middle or inside then face the pitcher. Kids who pull off the ball and hit 60 ft foul turn the upper body more towards SS and 3rd. Also, tell her to get the ball much much deeper. The deeper they let the ball get on any pitch the body naturally takes over and produces faster bats speed. Most kids can gain more bat speed with this alone because they tend to hit balls thrown in all locations to far in front making the slow or use less of the lower half of the body where most of the bat speed is generated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802