Hitting Advice Requested

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 19, 2009
My daughter has the power and ability to hit triples but only does so occassionally. I don't know what to do to get her hitting to her ability. I don't know if she should take more pitches or what. Any advice for her would be great. She is 13 years old and is tall for her age. She can hit fast pitches with ease because she was groomed to do it. I don't know if it is her swing or what she is swinging at. Any advice for me would be helpful too, what should I look for. The little league coachs don't have enough time to devote to the kids one on one so it is up to me the mom to try to help her. Thanks in advance. Kim J

May 13, 2008
The most common problem with kids who hit for power but not average (or with a lot of strikeouts) is a bat drag issue. It is impossible to say, however, without video. If you could post some video there are several people who would be happy to comment.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
I'd BET a LOT of money that her BIGGEST ISSUE is she is TRYING to hit triples and homeruns. Just hit the ball HARD and let doubles and triples and the occasional homerun happen. Triples in Softball are VERY hard as the fences generally are only 200sh feet, and 13/14/15 yr old girls can easily throw 90-120 feet on a rope, (16U/18U = 110-160+ feet), so one throw and a relay, generally will keep a well played ball to a double.)
I ALWAYS ask my girls when they get in the dugout from a homerun (True homerun - over the fence, not a single and 3 base error), if they TRIED to hit the homerun and they say 'No, I just tried hitting it hard!' My philosphy is when they TRY and LAUNCH a ball, they miss or hit weak popups from getting under it and I can teach a 12 year old to catch popups. Have her ONLY focus on hitting the ball hard, and let doubles, triples and homeruns happen! Less stress and MUCH, MUCH less aggrevation when they make out after trying too hard. Try for the line drive singles or gappers and success will be MUCH higher and she'll have much more fun and all of a sudden, doubles, triples and homeruns will happen. BET she is pulling her head of the contact zone trying so hard too!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Triples? Why triples? That seems a strange stat to track.

The little league coachs don't have enough time to devote to the kids one on one so it is up to me the mom to try to help her.

It is *always* up to mom and dad to make the child better.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
cshilt makes a good point about bat drag. If she is right handed and hits most of her balls to right field and rarely pulls the ball, then I would say she has some inefficiencies in her mechanics.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
a few years back, I had a girl whose Mom asked me to work with her as she ALWAYS hit to RF. I watched her mechanics...... not bad... though there was a contact issue.
*** I stopped her at the plate and asked her where she THINKS she SHOULD be making contact as the pitch approached her. She showed me............ she THOUGHT as the ball CROSSED the plate! I explained contact on the inside pitch, across the middle and outside pitches, we worked some front toss and then she continued and at that point began hitting left-side and up the middle. Amazing that she was making contact consistantly where she THOUGHT she was supposed to and now STILL consistantly makes contact and can hit the ball where its pitched! Quick and easy correction.

May 31, 2009
If she gets a lot of batting practice in EVERYDAY, then it can definitely improve her hitting.
Here's a soft toss machine that is great for kids to work on their hitting in the back yard. www.shop.beebesports.com
Kids love this machine and will practice hitting for hours.
I'd recommend getting a net or screen for them to hit the balls into.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee