Hitting a Rise Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Because you'll do what (as a pitcher)?
Throw riseballs. It's a fallacy to think you'll hit it before it goes up, at least a good rise.

Without going into the whole debate about a riseball's movement, even the most staunch advocate believers that the ball actually goes up SHOULD admit that the ball needs help from trajectory. I don't think anyone believes the ball could be going down, then suddenly pop back up like an airplane aborting a landing. Regardless of where you on the riseball debate, anyone who believes that type of movement needs to give their heads a shake.

But what can't really be debated is, a trajectory is needed. So, if you are buying this so far, then immediately out of the hand the ball should be on an incline. Which means you're basically trying to hit the ball as it's moving through the zone. I can tell you from experience, both in the batter's box and in the pitcher's circle, moving up in the box doesn't work. Not against a GOOD riseball.

A better argument could be made about doing this for a dropball, since those typically have a later break than a riseball which is (or should be) moving continuously. However....

I've never seen an elite hitter in men's fastpitch or on the US women's Olympic team who doesn't stay as far back as they possibly can. Slappers will usually try to kick out the front line of the batter's box to obscure where their feet are when they make contact, most everyone else is in the far back and they kick out the back line of the batter's box so they can keep moving back. About once a game my catcher would have to make the umpire get the hitter to move up, and try to be level with where they think the line should be or where it is in the other side batter's box. Come to think of it, I've never seen anyone in MLB who didn't go to the back of the box either.

Jun 8, 2016
Like Bill alluded to, without having had to adjust to said pitch before (regardless of what information you have), you don't have much of a chance if the pitcher is any good. There is a reason why slider machines are all over the place in baseball now...You also don't have much of a chance if your mechanics don't allow you to adjust effectively (which is what all that cage work sans spin pitches is trying to build..). Finally all hitters have "hot zones" and most are not up in the zone. If you won't swing at a high fastball with less than two strikes (because that isn't a pitch you do damage with) no reason to swing at a riseball up in the zone either...(in most cases..obviously there are cases where you need a flyball and swinging at that pitch might be a good idea..)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Riseballs are up and out of the zone, so why would I ever swing at it?

And why would I waste time practicing hitting a ball that's above the strike zone?

Most kids cant hit a ball properly in the strike zone.

Aug 21, 2008
Riseballs are up and out of the zone, so why would I ever swing at it?
I'm not sure if you're just trolling or not, but if not, I'm guessing you've never faced one. I'm sure it seems that simple and easy. I assure you it's not. If you're facing a pitcher without the ability to control the pitch, and keep it marginal, then I'd agree.
And why would I waste time practicing hitting a ball that's above the strike zone?
That would be true, except not all riseballs are above the strike zone. Just like not all dropballs are low out of the zone.
Most kids cant hit a ball properly in the strike zone.
That's whole different issue then.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Did you read the first post? Assume I know it's coming.
But not every rise finishes up and out of the zone.

How many batters knew Rivera was throwing them the cutter and still swung at it pathetically? Hitting isn't exactly easy. If you play MLB for 15 years, and fail as a hitter 70% of the time, you go to the Hall of Fame.

Aug 21, 2008
Did you read the first post? Assume I know it's coming.
Yes I did read the first post. But your post has a supposition that the riseballs are out of the zone. I don't believe that's what the first post said. All they said was that you 'know it's coming' . It'd be incorrect to automatically assume it's "up and out of the zone" as you said in your post.

Good pitchers keep their pitches marginal. Always around the zone, not in the zone unless absolutely necessary. This means rise at the letters, drop at the knees at their maximums. Of course there are times to go beyond those max locations, usually reserved for undisciplined hitters.

I can't speak for everyone but, all of my pitchers work on riseballs low and high: knees and letters.

All things equal, I'd agree with you though not to swing at a ball out of the zone if the pitcher can't control it.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
A better, more realistic question would be what does a hitter do when she's 'sitting on' a riseball, with a specific location in mind. Let's say that after a first pitch strike the coach repeatedly calls for a riseball at the top of the strike zone, what would you tell your hitters? I would tell them to come out of their tilt a little and stand tall, this would make it easier to get on plane with the ball at the top of the zone.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Let's say you know a rise ball is coming. And you know the ball will be 1 inch above what your brain is going to tell you (based on hitting thousands of fastballs).

What do you do?
Learn how to hammer the ball vs supinating to lift the ball.

5puS0R9.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802