Hits like a Stud from machine, like a Dud against live pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 1, 2009
How comfortable is she with a live pitcher? You may find that the problem is her fear of getting hit is getting in the way of her hitting. Does she hit slower pitchers better than faster pitchers? Does she drift around the batters box? You must master the mental edge to coaching as the girls get older if you want to be successful. Keep your coaching positive and be creative in your solutions.

Oct 27, 2009
Happy New Year to all and thanks for all the input. I will definitely implement the front toss into our practices as I have joined the coaching staff of her new team this year. After a little more thought about her situation I would have to say that some her struggles this fall were a direct result of her team situation last year and her extensive time on the bench. For whatever reason her coaches with her team last year did not believe in her and unfortunately did not see much game action even though she would do fine in all of her practices and hitting routines. She basically lost a years playing experience with that program. She is certainly no slouch as her team placed third in the Colorado Sparkler, she was surrounded by some standout athletes which I am sure played a role in her limited play. However how do you get game experience unless you are in the game, therefore that may have played a role in her struggles once she was seeing some significant playing time with her new team this fall. Fortunately she has never had any fear of being hit, so I don't see that as being a problem.
I don't understand the mentality of some coaches and programs were it is win at all costs without the concern of the development of their entire roster especially at the 12U level. In her final tournament with that team they played eight games over the weekend and she played one inning of defense and had one at bat for the entire tournament. The skill level from players 6-12 was not discernible enough to justify the disparity in playing time. After the disappointment of last year I'm sure her confidence took a hit as well, as she nearly quit softball altogether, I had to convince her to give it another shot with someone else. Therefore it was time to move on to a program where she could get some playing time. She is a vital piece of her new team and batting third for a team that is a competitive "A" level program. I am sure that as she becomes more comfortable with her new role and is not pressing to impress the new teammates and coaches that she will flourish. She is really rocking the ball in practices and we will implement front toss as a team after the first of the year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee