Hits like a Stud from machine, like a Dud against live pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2009
My DD hits everything in site and with exceptional power, line shots against machine pitching and really struggles with live pitching. Any help or suggestions?

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Some girls cannot transfer skills between hitting off of a machine and live pitching. There are several reasons for this. #1 - the machine is not trying to strike your DD out. A good pitcher is going to throw to your DDs weaknesses.

Then, add stuff like pressure, noise, parents, a catcher, an umpire, a pitcher, etc. and she suddenly can't hit.

My advice is to never let her hit off of a machine. If the team is going to the cages, just throw to her from the front, behind a screen. It won't take her very long to turn this around.

Jul 28, 2008
I 2nd what Amy said. I prefer the machine to work on mechanics during the off season., but the closer the season gets, the more I will pitch from behind the screen. Also, I have the screen pretty close to the batter.

Jun 16, 2010
No one hits live pitching as well as a machine, or even soft toss. Players that will put every pitch over fence in batting practice might actually only bat .250 in game situations., or less! Why? its harder....duh!

If she really struggles, she may not be picking the pitch up soon enough from live pitching. She needs to focus on picking up when it leaves the hand, not halfway to plate.

Last edited:
T

theaddition

She's probably got a timing problem and is starting her swing too early or too late.

This is typical of your finger pointing.
Why don't you suggest a remedy for the young lady's timing problem?

I don't believe you have ever offered any practical advice on how to fix anyone's swing flaw.

You have identified a timing problem.
How should she fix it?
Offer up O'Leary.

BD

May 13, 2008
My DD hits everything in site and with exceptional power, line shots against machine pitching and really struggles with live pitching. Any help or suggestions?

I like Amy's suggestion; use the pitching machine as little as possible. I prefer to front toss from behind a pitching screen because I can vary the speed and location of the pitch. I can use different grips and throw different pitches to help with pitch recognition.

If I use the machine I have the hitters move after every swing; "two steps forward, closer to the plate", "three steps back, move away from the plate", etc. This is my variation of the Barry Bonds drill.

Aug 16, 2010
SBD97- my daughter same age had same problem - she was stud in practice and looked timid if not intimidated during game at bats. She knew what to do but just wasn't executing in games. She's a lefty and was able to slap and drag but hit away was her issue. She still has her moments but has basically worked her way through with game at bats. The improvement also occurred about the time she went to play for a team on which I was only a spectator. The new coach was 4 yr D1 starter who throws hard and with movement windmill from behind screen at about 30'. Maybe that was it or maybe she just matured - because she is a pretty good pitcher - she's played up most of her career and is now finally playing at correct age level 14u. Are you her primary coach? Is she playing against girls much older than her?

Also I generally only use pitching machine for outfield and catcher practice - especially when my back is hurting. I primarily throw bp uh behind screen - don't windmill but I can spin the ball for drop, curve, screw, rise and change - it doesn't move much but they see the rotation. We also regularly do intrasquad to simulate game pressure and break monotony of drills only practice.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Girls with mechanical problems and timing problems always get
work from behind the screen. The majority of machines are too
consistent down the middle. We only use machines for slapping/bunting
and sometimes for inside-outside work. Nothing can replicate live pitching besides
live pitching.

I do not use my pitchers to throw BP, instead we have a steady stream
of 'friendly' scrimmages to work out the kinks. If you can 'partner up' with a neighboring program
it is one of the best things you can do for the girls, mutually beneficial to both teams

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478