Hit by pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Having seen it live, I don't thinks he was trying to duck out of the way. It looked like she was basically head butting the ball. I guess the context helps too, having watched her throughout the game (very stereotypical diva pitcher). I actually think she ducked INTO the ball. I wish I had another angle.

Things can look very different live, from other angles, and in other contexts. There is no way by the video I would say she didn’t attempt to move or deliberately moved into the ball.

So what was the ruling on the field?

Mar 28, 2014
Having seen it live, I don't thinks he was trying to duck out of the way. It looked like she was basically head butting the ball. I guess the context helps too, having watched her throughout the game (very stereotypical diva pitcher). I actually think she ducked INTO the ball. I wish I had another angle.
I personally think it's below a parent to call a 12 YEAR OLD player a diva and to insinuate that they intentionally tried to head butt a ball by saying "Is this Soccer?". Let's all try to be better than that. It's JUST A GAME. No need to get personal with 12 year old kids. Perspective please.

Nov 8, 2018
ASA/USA Softball you need to make an attempt to avoid the pitch. Umpire discretion.

USSSA you get the base.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

We were at an ASA this weekend and our pitcher that day throws a sweeping curve with little speed. Prob in the mid to high 30’s. The girl just stood there and got hit. They called it a ball and didn’t give the base. Made no attempt to avoid. Never saw that before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
We were at an ASA this weekend and our pitcher that day throws a sweeping curve with little speed. Prob in the mid to high 30’s. The girl just stood there and got hit. They called it a ball and didn’t give the base. Made no attempt to avoid. Never saw that before

I've seen them not move, but they've always been awarded a base that I've seen.

The fact is, a 13/14 year old kid can be a diva with a terrible attitude. It can start even younger than that. Maybe if people called them out earlier on, it could be nipped in the bud. But the parents usually encourage it IME. The players usually good, and some coaches don't want to lose them by angering them and /or their parents. Personally I don't think they're doing the kids any favors, long term.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015

Props to that ump for getting it right!

I almost had an on-field argument with another ump at State this past weekend because he wouldn’t let it go when I made that call. (He truly is one of the worst umpires I have ever worked with.) Sad thing was, I had the same discussion with the same guy last year. He always responds “Well, they must have just changed that this year.” No. It never changed. NFHS changed it, but USA (ASA) never did. It has always been that way.

May 29, 2015

It does depend on the rule set being used.

NFHS Softball (school ball) does not require an attempt to move IF the ball is entirely in the batter’s box. If the ball is not entirely in the batter’s box, the batter doe still have to attempt to move. (Oddly, NFHS baseball is different and still requires the attempt to move.)

Nov 8, 2018

The fact is, a 13/14 year old kid can be a diva with a terrible attitude. It can start even younger than that. Maybe if people called them out earlier on, it could be nipped in the bud. But the parents usually encourage it IME. The players usually good, and some coaches don't want to lose them by angering them and /or their parents. Personally I don't think they're doing the kids any favors, long term.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No they are not

Nov 8, 2018
Props to that ump for getting it right!

I almost had an on-field argument with another ump at State this past weekend because he wouldn’t let it go when I made that call. (He truly is one of the worst umpires I have ever worked with.) Sad thing was, I had the same discussion with the same guy last year. He always responds “Well, they must have just changed that this year.” No. It never changed. NFHS changed it, but USA (ASA) never did. It has always been that way.

Yeah was pretty surprised. I didn’t realize the rule for that tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45