Hit by Pitch question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2009
Does a batter have to make an attempt to get out of the way of a pitch? We've had umpires call it both ways. Just wondering if there is an actual rule about this.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
absolutely - its a judgement call by Blue whether the batter made an attempt, and a batter's trigger MAY not offer her an opportunity to get out of the way of a pitch. Blues are also smart enough to realize whether a pitcher pitches tight to move batters and sometimes that doesn't help.
** A great example of some BAD umpire decsions for attempts to avoid hit-by-pitch was Alabama's show. In MY OPINION, Alabama batters misused this during the WCWS and it was so obvious ALABAMA fans were JOKING about it! One fan said 'you would think after 6 batters, the umpires would figure it out'. On many inside pitches, there batters turned INTO the pitch to get a free base, at least it was clear to me and many fans WITH me at the games!

May 29, 2009
Ahh, thanks...I was wondering if we got the short end of that one this past weekend. Girl on opposing team was wearing one of those long sliding pads that practically covered her entire leg. She was standing very close to the plate so our pitcher was pitching her inside (no batters box lines). Twice she stood there while the pitch hit her sliding pad with a rubber-sounding thud. When it happened the 2nd time, our coach argued that she made no attempt to get out of the way. Umpire insisted she doesn't have to make any attempt and can just stand there.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The ASA Rule is Rule 8, Section 1, F. "If no attempt is made to avoid being hit, the batter will not be awarded first base unless it was ball four."

The rule says "If no attempt is made". So, any attempt, even if a poor attempt, is good enough to allow the runner to be awarded first base.

Usually, umpires also give consideration to the speed of the pitcher and the movement of the pitch.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Personally, if I find an ump that is going to give me the base, I am going to stand there.

The Alabama batter that I saw, though, was embarrassing. I don't advocate sticking your arm out to get hit.

Some umps even give the base if you are hit by a strike. That is what I disagree with.

May 13, 2008
The ASA Rule is Rule 8, Section 1, F. "If no attempt is made to avoid being hit, the batter will not be awarded first base unless it was ball four."

The rule says "If no attempt is made". So, any attempt, even if a poor attempt, is good enough to allow the runner to be awarded first base.

Usually, umpires also give consideration to the speed of the pitcher and the movement of the pitch.

Additionally, if a batter is hit by a pitch in the strike zone the result is a dead ball and a strike charged to the batter. If it is strike three the batter is out.

Jan 24, 2009
Want to hear a funny one...
Talking 10u here, 2 different players on my team have tried to decline first base in pool play after getting HBP because they wanted to finish their at bat and hit the ball. One was glanced in the arm and acted like the ball didn't hit her and another was hit in the leg by a first pitch bouncer and pleaded that she didn't try to get out of the way and asked to remain at bat. I do love the desire to hit that we have developed by teaching from an early age 'don't get walked.' Now they aren't even wanting their base on a HBP and we get a kick out of it.
VW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28