Hip Twitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
When do the hips fire during elite swings? Should they begin to fire as soon as the front toe touches, at heel plant or as the front toe is landing?

I’ve got a few girls that take pitches and never fire the lower half. I want to get them to fire hips/legs even when they take!

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Let's say for this purpose, that it takes .400 sec for the ball to go from pitcher to the plate. And it takes .200 for the 'swing'.

The means the front foot must touch the ground approx when the ball is halfway. Most kids wait until they think the ball is a strike, until they start their stride. This is when Dads usually kill the stride in an effort to fix this, resulting in two broken issues..

The stride must begin in coach pitch when s/he releases the ball. In fastpitch the stride must begin somewhere around the time the pitcher's arm is over head.

The coil inward of the hips and shoulders of approx 45 deg happens during the stride forward. This is the most important hip movement. Most kids (maybe 90%+) don't do this at all. This coil should be actively held as long as possible.

The coil outward (maybe your 'fire') should begin without a conscious effort on your part when the front foot is approx 1-2 inches from landing. Usually kids do this as soon as they begin the stride.

"I want to get them to fire hips/legs even when they take! " In the cage, randomly hold the ball, and make sure they stride every time.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
When do the hips fire during elite swings? Should they begin to fire as soon as the front toe touches, at heel plant or as the front toe is landing?

I’ve got a few girls that take pitches and never fire the lower half. I want to get them to fire hips/legs even when they take!

Did you see that recent thread that had the Edgar Martinez view from right above him? I think that GIF could be a light bulb moment for a lot of hitters. To me it looks like heel plant/hips going (the "turn" of the lower half, however you want to describe that action) is about simultaneously.

Here's the thread. It's the 2nd post: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/edgar.36410/#post-513198

Aug 20, 2017
Edgar’s front hip looks to be working backwards immediately at landing. Maybe even some just before landing. Need a slo mo of exact time the front hip works backward/back hip fires forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28